Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018 STRIPER REPORTs

129K views 303 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2018 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#2 ·
The Haverstraw holdovers mobilized this week and there was a good run from Newburgh to Marlboro including Wappingers Creek. My guess is they will slow down a bit due to this cold but they should continue their trek up N in a few days and we will see a week or 2 lull until the migratory fish arrive.

Attachments

#5 ·
Fished Marlboro Bay today in a buddies boat.....between taking on water, constantly running the bilge pumps and having to jump the solenoid every time to start the boat we were still able to get some lines in the water....marked scattered fish but no takers. Some were caught by others though....schoolies.

#7 ·
Dad caught 4 fish this morning off plum point from shore. 8 am to 12. 23 inch being the biggest with a tag in it. Dennings cove has been good as well, my brother and father both landing a couple schoolies couple days ago. Biggest was 24 inches. All from shore. Bloodworms.

#8 · (Edited)
Hey guys, new user here from Kingston. I live in the City of Kingston and keep the boat at Certified Marina on The Rondout Creek. I've spent about 45 hours the past few days fishing from the bank (Boats not going in until the hogs arrive). I've put in about 16 hours in the Creek alone. People reported from the marina, hooking into some keeper sizes on Saturday right at the outlet of the creek into the hudson. Blood and Sand worms are what they've been biting on and it was 2 hours before tide went out and the 2 hour after it. I put in a 4 hour day today in Rondout (About 300 yards up stream from the hudson) for the tide change this afternoon and just caught a LOAD of Bullheads and a 4 inch Striper and a Hickory Shad. Gonna hit the point tomorrow from the bank too, has anyone fished the point in the past few days?

#13 ·
I fished the Kingston Point today where the trolley tracks end, for about 5 hours. I started at 11 AM, which was 1.5 hours till high tide was fully in. I got skunked. Not even any catfish wanted to come out and play =( . Hopefully this warm weather brings some more bass up here in Kingston, because so far I think the best I've heard boated was around 19". Good old Howard at the Howard Motel in Esopus did land a 31 incher. But he actually has lines in the water 24/7.

#15 ·
Fished couple hours out of Kingston today marked a few no takers tried blood worms last time I waste 12 dollars and lady told me she gave me a deal there usually 14 but they were a little small well the hook was bigger then the worm these people should be embarrassed selling that product gonna try again next weekend with some herring

#17 ·
Went out saturday for the outgoing tide around Croton. Caught 6 fish from 22" to 37" in about 13 FOW all on fresh herring. I broke one off at the boat that looked to be about 40"...someone forgot their net and had the drag set too tight. After looking at the boat for a few seconds she decided that was enough, made a hard dive and snapped my line. The fish were all real fresh and hit hard, contrary to the intel I received that said they were pecking at bait like catfish. I cut my herring smaller than usual due to the colder water temps and had good results. I havent fished since due to the cold snap, but plan on getting out tomorrow.

Attachments

#28 ·
First time posting, been on here a few times before, thanks for the info guys.

Went out Sunday afternoon, last couple hours of incoming and first couple outgoing near Croton.
A few hits but no fish landed both on the mud flat and edges of the channel. Marked a bunch of fish in the channel. Used jigs, lures and both drifted and weighted blood worms.

Anyone on here exclusively use lures and willing to share some tactics? Anyone go for them in shallower water or top water in the river, doesn't seem like it happens with them in spawn mode? Drift vs weighted blood worms? Any help would be much appreciated. Trying to dial in this fishery a little bit this year if I can.

Have been chasing stripers for a few years now but mostly in the NJ surf or the LI sound.

#32 ·
I've had some luck catching schoolies on the south side of croton point using both swim baits and flies. I drift the edge of the channel where the croton river runs into the hudson all the way down to the point. You either need a super quiet trolling motor or to drift as the fish spook super easy in the shallow water. You will see swirls from their tails when they spook. Ive also heard of people catching them on bucktails and trolled swim baits at around 15-20' in the main river but have never tried it myself. there are some articles you can read about trolling for stripers on the river, a quick google search will bring them up

#33 ·
And it begins...........got the boat in tonight (last night) and fished Newburg for a few hours on incoming tide in the mist/fog till about 10pm....we managed 4 up to 26 inches. It was a rough ride back to Marlboro in the fog in the dark though. Marlboro was also devoid of fish..........all our good marks were off Dennings Point.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.