Mystic 4/20 The good the bad the ugly back to good - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Mystic 4/20 The good the bad the ugly back to good

Launched at Noon from the boatlaunch. No need for dry wear today. Fresh water side in the 60's and air close to 90. Nice! I wore the mysterioso bottoms and socks, with neo booties and synthetic Tshirt. I usually dont get to do this on the ocean until mid July. Nice!

Nothing happening in the usual haunts. FF picked up singles. I guess I was spoiled this year with first cast fish. Not in the last week. I worked the Pilons and dam doors and found micros here and there. I went back to open water and the wind was howling from the west. I am glad I brought the drift sock. Used the drift sock to maximize casting time before I would get blown to the other side of the dam. Found some nice fish in this area from Micros to 26". Everything was going fine until I went to re-deploy the drift sock. I put the rod in the rear holder and grabbed the sock and saw something fly out of the corner of my eye. My rod! See ya. It went down like the titanic. I wrapped the cord around the reel handle and yanked it out of the holder when I took the sock out. I looked for a reference to come back and the ff said it was 8 feet. St. Croix Tidemaster and Stradic 4000. 270 to replace. I tried using another rod but could not get it. Atleast it was in fresh water and I knew where it was but getting it back would be like playing the lottery. I didnt have a weighted treble on me and thought about coming back another day with one.

I continued to fish and bagged a nice fish 30-31" on plastic. Nice long battle on 2lb power pro 10lb test. Fat fish! I guess this holdover was eating well in the Mystic River. Released and decided to fish the salt water side. I found fish hugging the walls on the salt side all schoolies from dinks to about 24". No sea lice on the schoolies. I also saw a boatload of herring. Herring were everywhere and in the lockes. Gulls and Commarants were diving in and picking up large size herring. Saw one seal in the channel that came in too feast.

I pulled over and talked to the oldtimers who hang in the parking lot. I told Charlie about loosing my rod. He gave me a big weighted treble hook. It took me an hour of dredging but got it. Even got the 9" sluggo back. LOL...I also dregged up a rusted out gun, looked like a 22 or 25 cal. (reminds me of fishing Chelsea Creek back in the day), burlap bags, and plastic bags.

Rule #1 in kayak fishing: leash what you dont want to lose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 PM

hey riddler one of my customers got a 34 in on monday off the jetty on a fresh clam And you been upriver yet its just about that time stopped by the dam a couple of days ago i saw you out there Plenty of herring on stellwagon on monday when i was codfishing . later pete
Old 04-20-2005, 11:41 PM

Thats good news Pete. Since the first day of Spring I have been hitting the Mystic area. For the first couple of weeks it was way to easy. For every cast there was a fish. Some where in the high 30's but most were in the teens and 20's. Since the boat lockes are being used more now and more then a few days of draining its been hard locating fish on the fresh water side. My guess is that a ton of em went thru and they are up and about. One boater said he saw Bass rolling on baitfish by the Tobin Bridge. Maybe these are freshies. I have more and more fish on the Salt side but no signs of sea lice.

What are your thoughts on the cod, flounder bite around the water tower, Fauns, Airport etc.? I have not targeted cod on the kayak but more of an occansionaly hook up on your tube out at the Fauns in May=June.

I stopped by your store a few times but it is closed. Are you back on normal hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 AM

Sorry i missed you and yes we open at 6a.m til 7 p.m. until it gets warmer then we'llbe open til 8:30. The cod are in presidents roads right now flounder are off the old holts pier in revere I got plenty of worms and clams see you pete
Old 04-22-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Wow glad you got it back

Wow I was reading your post and hoping it ended witha happy ending.
Sounds like a good time out on the water but man that really stinks about the rod taking a swim, glad you got it back though.

I got a Kayak also.. I have done a little fishing but it's a little small to fish out of. I have a Wilderness Systems I think it is a 15' and have what I think they call a churned hull ? It really takes the water nice but has no rudder. I have take it out to the closer Island to me, Hog Island , but other than that I have just poked around the sailboats in the harbor for stress relief :)