Rod Building classes - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 02-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Rod Building classes

I was looking for a class or workshop on rod building in South East Mass. I am not affraid to try something new but would hate to screw up an expencive blank. I got 6kids and cant afford to toss out an experiment so hopfully there is some one to guide me thru this. I know this site as well as a few shops can offer advice but it would also be a nice night out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Veteran

Default Re: Rod Building classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm
I was looking for a class or workshop on rod building in South East Mass. I am not affraid to try something new but would hate to screw up an expencive blank. I got 6kids and cant afford to toss out an experiment so hopfully there is some one to guide me thru this. I know this site as well as a few shops can offer advice but it would also be a nice night out.
Check out this site. Rod Building.org Glossary

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2
Old 02-28-2006, 06:29 PM

CC Thats a great link and resource. I edited the landing page from glossary to list. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 09:13 PM

Pick up a beater rod for $5 somewhere (if you don't already have one) strip it down and rebuild it using the guides you just stripped off. When you put it back together try spineing it and reset the guides using the static system. You'll be amazed at how little attention to detail the manufacturers actually give. I'll also wager you'll need another guide or two.

All it'll cost you is the thread, a new reel seat (you have to cut the old one off) and some epoxy. It's a great learning experience.
Read through rodbuilding.org, the best of the best hang out there - it'll be like getting a college education in rodbuilding.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:07 PM

Default Thanks Guys

I was on that site earlier today by chance. Lots of good info. I purcased the blank,seat, grips, guides,thread and all the other stuff yesterday. I built my drying motor and stands last night and getting close to assembling. I like the idea of reworking an old rod and I may try a few wraps on nthat first. I will post the final out come soon.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Veteran

Go get them. I made my first rod by hand with a couple of telephone books . I would put the string in between the pages.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Just Finished !

Well I could not find a class on building so I read on the internet. My work shop is unheated so I needed to move to my other best spot. I coverted my bar to a rod building area. I am happy how it came out and will outfit it next week with a Penn 330GTI reel. I have tryed to post some pics. I think I am hooked. I am already thinking of my next rod for my son.

(edit** resized by jim)
Old 03-18-2006, 07:57 PM

Default a few more

(edit** resized by jim)

Old 03-19-2006, 09:11 AM

Cross wraps on your first rod? Impressive. I wrapped my first rod a couple weeks ago, I was a little afraid to go for the cross wraps. The rod came out great and I am in the process of wrapping another. Like you, I think I'm hooked. Nice first rod
Old 03-19-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Cross wrap

After wraping the rod I decided to screw around with the cross wrap. I was not bad to do at all. You develop the skills quick after doing all the other wraps. After it dryed over night I think I may do another coat over the decal. The gel pens sucked also, they didnt show up as nice as I had intended. Chock it up to my learning curve !!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:53 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Nice stuff man. Cool setup...nice baah too! :)

Old 03-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Veteran

Not bad for your first. Keep up the good work. The next one, try to keep the spaces the same distance apart on the crosswrap. I like to keep the underwrap one color under the crosswrap. line up the crosses with your guides. keep the threads nice an close together. I always outline my crossrapes with one black thread on each side Al Cappy called it the shadow. It brings out the colors better.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Very nice job, my first one wasnt nealy as nice....

I just ordered a 10 wt 10 ft St, Croix fly rod blank, i'll post it up once I wrap it...
Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Thanks

I tryed to mix the colors on the under warp on the but but I was thinking the cross wrap I mixed the colors and thought the look was ok-different taste. I should have spent more time lineing up the x,s but the next one should be straight(I hope). Do you think those pickey stripers at Bird Island will notice? I hope the cows dont !!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Veteran

I don,t know about the cows,but I will. I will tell you another trick that may help you. After you put the underwrap on ,put a coat of poly on the underwrap . Then get a razon blade and scrape a lite line over the poly. Do it on the top and bottom. Then line up your X's on those lines. It works even better with no underwrap. When you put the next coat on the lines you made will disappear.