Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Weather Outlook

7K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Reel Force 
#1 ·
I follow a weather guy on FB, so far he's done better predicting the weather then any of the news channels. As far as an early run, Stella canceled that out. Now we might be looking at a tuff start. Fish will here be about the same time as always. The question now is - what are the water temps going to be like?!?! Getting bait may be hard in the beginning if we have low water temps. Another storm Friday into Saturday 3-6" with up to 11'' possible.

I give credit to Dave Eichorn for the following prediction ...

Jet Stream animation going out through mid April looks a little troublesome. After the 8th and through the 15th, a strong jet stream on a more southern track "guides" healthy storms across the southern half of the country. This would almost certainly set the southern U.S. up for an active period of severe thunderstorms. Farther north...well, it might be good to leave the snow tires on for a couple more weeks. No "specific threat." Rather...it's just the "look" of the overall pattern.

"a strong jet stream on a more southern track" = more colder air being pulled down from Canada.

:frustrated:

See less See more
#6 ·
Sounds perfect to me ..... keep the water cold so the big fat ones don't stop down south.

That is what happened last year so maybe we are in for a rerun of last season laughing7.gif

I icefished 3/6 and with a warm forecast i opened my pool on 3/12 ..... it got cold and stayed cold right after that well into April.

Last year may have been the best year for big fish ever and if not i would have to go back well over 10 years for one that compared.

#10 ·
1-1 1/2" through Wednesday morning. Then another storm on Thursday. Combine that with snow melt. Gonna stink for awhile. Took a pic from the Coeymans Landing Marina web cam yesterday at dead low tide. You couldn't even see the top of the wall. :frustrated:

#11 ·
Better that this happens now. It's still relatively cold. Hopefully things don't heat up too much after this. A good bulk of the snow may melt and by the time the water clears up the rest will may keep the river cool so the season isn't over before it begins.

#12 ·
Hope ya saw in my first post - Jet Stream animation going out through mid April looks a little troublesome. After the 8th and through the 15th, a strong jet stream on a more southern track "guides" healthy storms across the southern half of the country. This would almost certainly set the southern U.S. up for an active period of severe thunderstorms. Farther north...well, it might be good to leave the snow tires on for a couple more weeks. No "specific threat." Rather...it's just the "look" of the overall pattern.

"a strong jet stream on a more southern track" = more colder air being pulled down from Canada.

The river is gonna really "Blow Out" this week, I agree it needs a good flush for the season, but a wide spread rainfall 1-2" over all of NY (Tuesday 2am till Wednesday morning) is gonna be a problem. Then on Thursday another storm with possible heavy rain fall. You have the entire lenght of the Mohawk and all of the upper Hudson - to Lake Tare Of The Clouds (head water of the Hudson), and all the feeder streams and creeks feeding into that system. Plus snow melt. The thing that's gets me concerned is the active weather pattern coming up. We don't need any additional rain fall after this week. It will take a good 10-14 days for the river to start to clear, baring no more heavy participation. Just don't hope for a tuff start for us upper river guys. I always "plan on the worst but hope for the best" never leaves me disappointed.

#14 ·
This weather is gonna put a huge damper on the shore fisherman for two reasons, 1st, the bait guys aren't going to keep anything on the bottom, that is if they can catch bait, the Lure guys(me) forget it, I was casting a 2oz., chartruse Savage and couldn't see it 6 inches below the surface!
Now we all gotta keep calm and just know eventually the water is gonna warm up and the river is gonna clean up, its just gonna take a bit longer.
The Stripers have been doing this Before Henry Hudson ever sailed up the river, they"ll be here.:sleepy1::cook:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.