Stupid lure question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-27-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Stupid lure question

I've never fished lures or plugs off shore for stripers, but want to get into it some this year. Looked at some yesterday but were from 5 to 20 bucks each, which I could lose in one cast. What would be the best to get. Our water is not as clear as down your way due to the amount of water coming in on the tide, and there is a pretty good cross current. Do I go with a sinking or floating, Rapala's, Storm, 8" rubber eels, dark colors, light colors?? I'll try to post a pic of area where I fish. The water steadily gets deeper the farther out you go. Thanks Dobb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Jigologist

I like to choose lures and rubber that has the best of both worlds, both a light and dark color, like black and white, blue and white, green and white.. then those plugs and rubber will be suitable for bright or dark day and night fishing,,

sluggos, finS fish, and most other rubber baits come in two-toned versions.. an assortmant of jighead weights, dark and white bombers and dark and white poppers is about all you'll really need and will keep your cash out-lay and your tackle bag on the light side..

my starter list would be:
*sluggos both 6" and 9" in two-toned color
*jigheads (bullethead) from 1/4oz to 1oz
*a couple two toned windcheaters (kinda like a bomber/rapala) there are two sizes, get one of each 5" and 7"
*a couple poppers that cast well and are two toned with rattles
* a few castmasters with white bucktails or swedish pimples

there will always be those certain situations when fish might like some special thing but you can't carry it all.. the poppers will have you covered for surface action, the bomber type plugs will get you subsurface and the jigs will fish the bottom for yah..

you have some schoolies headed your way in a few weeks .. my home river is loaded right now and has been all week (kennebec)

good luck to yah
Old 05-28-2006, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the reply Jigman. Was down yesterday and only got one bass which was about 22 inches. There seemed to be more bass 3 weeks ago than there is now in the bay. I tryed a bucktail jig last year ,but no success only a few hits from little ones. I have never seen topwater feeding in the bay. It could happen but not to my knowledge. I think I'll try it again today, the wife is going today as it is going to be sunny and warm. Later Dobb