1st keeper - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Default 1st keeper

went to the canal for the 1st time seeing as the weather has been to bad to yak,, got there about 10:am just in time to see some guy walk away with a 30in bass, he wasn't the only 1 leaving, their was about 10 or 12 other guys leaving at the same time,that didn't seem like a good sign, as I walked down to the water,the tide still seemed low,but within 20min the tide quickly rose and the canal was ripping with currant,I started with a 3oz white jig and quickly lost that,put on another 1 and lost that 1 within an hour,,WTF ,lost a couple of bait rigs also,,fished all day in the rain and mist but I wasn't leaving till I caught something, no matter how long it was going to take,around 4:pm the tide started dropping and the currant had slowed down,fisherman also started showing up left and right, I started throwing a 2-1/2oz Castmaster parallel with the bank right down the edge of the drop off and thats when it hit,like a freight train,we battled for 10 or so minutes and I wasn't sure who was wearing who out but I was spent after slippin and sliding and almost falling twice on the wet rocks, but I got'em in,,,,,35inch,,,I'm sure to the more experienced guys this wasn't very big, but this is my 1st striper and I was smiling all the way home,,even while the wife was humming at me for missing dinner with her and her mom, I was still smiling ,,,,,,,sorry for the lousy pic but the mist was heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 056.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	3537  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: 1st keeper

Now that my friend is an awesome fish!!!!!!! Kudos for you for sticking it out, hopefully you took note of the events, checked what time you arrived, what time the other's were leaving, what time the current changed direction what time the others showed back up and related it to high/low tide.....Anybody can catch fish when the fishing is easy... but when it tough, only the most determined fisherman will prevail.. Congrats on a job well done!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM
First Mate

great job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Congrats. Well done.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks,,,,,and I did take note of everything that was going on,even the spots that gathered the most fisherman,,I'd also like to note that I released it.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

my kinda guy, i have fished for hours in several spots just like that and nevah quit 5 minutes before the miracle and it almost seems that it is when it comes. but persistence does pay off. tell me something, did you cast down canal and work it up and out or ocean bound and work it back towards you? i guess on the dropping tide i would think you cast toward open water and retrrieved back toward the canal (if i read you right) if so i will explain my thory. if not i am blind to the situation as usual

Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Congrats my friend!! You'll remember that one forever
Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 PM
First Mate

SBret,..... I think you might be a perfect fit. Checked out your public profile and obsessed fisherman meets the criteria. Machinist that means I bet you can turn out some really nice plugs and probably hold +/- .001" on the OD. 3rd shift that means you are used to staying up all night when the fishy come out to eat. Stick around for a while, I think you will have fun.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:57 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

awesome fish..nice and fat...yeah..that canal can be very dangerous..those rocks get very slick..if you ever fell in the water in the wrong spot it can be deadly when the current is really pulling...the more you fish there the more you will learn..and also the less tackle you will lose too...but keep in mind..the canal is famous for stealing jigs and rigs..its par for the course..dont let lost gear get you down..it happens to everyone...i can tell you now..you are on your way to becoming a true canal rat...putting in the time like you did..making your "last cast" about 50 times is something to be proud of..its that drive that will make you successfull...keep up the good work.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Thanks again guys I appreciate all comments,,,,,,,,,and yes, I was determined, I didn't care how much tackle I lost,or how late it got,even though I was supposed to home at 5:30,but she understands .
The last cast,,,thats funny, I must have said that to myself a hundred times before I hooked that fish.
When I said I was fishing parallel to the bank,what I meant was ,the tide was dead low and where I was standing at the edge of the water ,if you took 2 or 3 steps out ,it was straight down,well there was no one fishing up currant from me ,so I was throwing right up the shoreline,about 6ft out from the bank and working it down with the currant,that fish hit 50yrd up and about 6 or so feet from the bank,,,,,,,,,,,,,ain't it funny,when you fish from shore everybody wants to cast out a mile, and when you fish from a boat everyone throws at the shore line.And yes I do have the fever,I'm going back tonight to fish the low tide around 6:30pm,going to get there a little early and stake out a spot .
Old 10-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

undercurrent in inlets have a hydraulic current that rides beneath the incoming/outgoing that flushes the opposite direction (why i feel fishing either side of the canal is good one direction or the other. however i don;t know if this holds true as i don;t know the canal well enough for it to be the case there. but baitfish will move on the flush undercurrent out on the incoming and in on the outgoing. anyone tell me how the current works at the canal?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 PM

Great job, the first one is always the best . It has been over 50 years for me since I caught my first striper , and I can still remember it. This is my first post on this website . I live on the west coast near San Francisco and have been fishing the SF bay and ocean for 50 plus years . Found this web site from a buddy ( lives very close ) who along with 6 others are fishing on your side of the states . They are due home tonight . Had a great time with the blues . Next year I'll be there . A special thanks to StriperJim for getting me hooked up and online with the rest of this fine group of fishermen. Thanks and congrads on that first of many stripers ..
Dan Gracia Daly City, Ca.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

SBRET-congrats on your first and that is a nice fish that you never will forget.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Veteran Elite

Congratulations. I remember what that first keeper feels like. Good Job.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G
Next year I'll be there
Hi Dan
Hopefully next year you'll give us a shout when you guys are headed this way. It may just be close to one of our event gatherings and Gunny and the gang will get a shot at fishing with you guys.
Welcome to the board and posting. Glad you found the site.