Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

black fish fishing?

Tags
black fishing
3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
hey guys.
so its Sunday feb 20th, been doing research on blackfish an heard that black fish can be caught all year round.i know they like rocks an structure. but am wondering if where i fish is a good spot for them, an if they can be caught there at this time.below is a pic of where i fish .its on the long island sound in great neck long island. in the back u can see the Throgs neck bridge. its during low tide but the water level reaches about 15-20 feet at high tide.but at low tide at the end of the pair its about 6 feet give or take a few feet. there is alot of rocks aroundon both sides of the pair. i walked the shore line the day i took these pic which was a week ago,i notice there where no crabs under the rocks. but there were sum ducks diving a few years from shore an i saw that they were eating sum thing that look fish like or shrimp like . i though it could be mabe mantis shrimp. cuz when i catch stripers in the spring at this location there are a few mantis shrimp in them. so am thinking if there is food rite now there could be sum fish.so if there is anyone out there that have sum black fishing experience.plz let me know if i can catch a few here.

thanks
join my group on facebook. new york striper fishing

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
prolly catch a ling lol...
white chins are in deep water now. just like bass there are holdover fish in warm outflow areas and never really leave these confines as there may be a sufficient food source. not sure what to make of the area so if you can get live crabs a bass can be a surprise if not a blackfish. have at it.

#6 ·
Black fish are a daytime endeavor. Once it gets dark forget about them.
Smallish hooks with green crabs or fiddlers. They will even take bits of bunker but thats just luck. Like has been said rocks, and wrecks.

Even shallows with boulder fields and around jetties and bulkheads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.