Alabama stripe fishing? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Alabama Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Alabama stripe fishing?

Hello all, I'm a new poster.
I live in the Pell City area on Logan Martin Lake about 30 miles east of Birmingham. I fish mostly Logan Martin and Lay Lake but love to go to Lake Martin or Smith Lake when I can. There are a few folks out there stripe fishing but no clubs or message boards or communication. (not that I can find) If you guys know of anything like this I would love to hear about it. Your feedback would be appreciated.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Alabama stripe fishing?

Hey, Bill...I fish for stripers in the tailraces in north Alabama.
You're right, there are no local clubs or message boards (to my knowledge).
The "closest" I've found is the Chattanooga Fishing Forum.

Good luck this season...from what I've seen so far, we're only about a week or two away (at the most) from a consistent bite.

— Jed Clampett
Old 03-15-2007, 04:14 PM

Wink Re: Alabama stripe fishing?

Hi Bill.
Hopefully we can get a little North Alabammy forum going here.
We have the room and the price is right.
Welcome aboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I would love to be able to communicate with fellow stripe fishermen in my area just to promote the sport.

slo-ride, I think your right about the tailraces picking up soon. As a matter of fact, my guide buddy here tells me that it has started to pick up big time below Logan Martin Dam. I have been unable to get on the water much for the last 11 months due to health issues but I complete treatment this week and hope to hit it hard in the next 2-3 weeks or so. I've got the itch bad!!
Let me know if you ever get down this way...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucktailBill View Post
I've got the itch bad!!
Let me know if you ever get down this way...
will do, BB....you do the same.
post up a report when you get on the water again!

— Jed Clampett
Old 08-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Skipper

I noticed this thread was posted in March so it's been a while but you still have a good idea. I'm in Birmingham and fish Martin and Smith (mostly Martin lately). In some ways I think its a good thing there are any formal clubs, but an informal forum would be excellent. I haven't had much luck lately and would like to hear how others are making out.

So how do we go about setting up a North Alabama Striper Forum?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 PM

Hi Vestbrook.
We could set it up as a sub forum like we did for the Hudson, Delaware,
Chesapeake and Albemarele if there is enough interest.
If not I can always move the posts back. What do you think?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Surf's Up

all i can is this site is a club we learn from u they share more with you
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Official Member

I have not done much fishing in any of the lakes around here other than Guntersville. But we have caught some monsters from there during the spring. An average fish of about 5-12 lbs with many 25+ lbs fish being hauled in.

I would love to try out some of the other bodies of water around here though. No time like the present huh?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 AM

I am new to stiper fishing in Alabama. I have fished for stipers in Maryland in the bay and from the beach, in California, and in Rogersville, Tn as a kid. I have had good success below Guntersville dam during the spring, but I have not tried the lakes yet. A friend and I have a guided trip planned soon at Martin. I live in Huntsville and have a 19 foot bay boat that I fish from. I would be willing to host on my boat anyone who can teach me how to fish stipers on the area lakes. Any takers?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

welcome to the site. great name lol.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM

In response to the name, After 20 years in the Corps, its hard to let go. This site dose not seem to get a lot of activity, which strikes me as odd since there are so many guys out there fishing for stripers here in Alabama. I would like to get some good dialogue going so that I can learn a thing or two. Hope everyone has a happy holiday season.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Welcome aboard Sgt.
I agree with you on the Alabama fisherie. Some of these lakes and tailraces have dozens of guides and support thousands of anglers. Perhaps if we build it they will come.
Have Alabama as a stand alone forum in the landlocked category rather than be buried in the southeast gulf coast forum.

Welcome and thanks for your input.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Sounds good to me. As far as making Alabama a stand alone, I am all for it, but will leave that to you computer smart guys. I am a knuckel dragger, after all. I am planning a trip to Martin with a friend on New Years eve. We are fishing with a guide down there who also happens to be named Jim. Weather.com forcasts a balmy day, clear and in the 50's. We should do ok and will take pics and post them to the thread. I am looking forward to learning some tricks from Jim and getting some input on how best to outfit my boat. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 AM

Hi Gunny....

While I don't know very much about the specific lakes & rivers you're fishing around Huntsville, I do have a fair amount of experience fishing for, and thankfully, catching these striped wonders in the lakes & rivers around TN and am only an hour or so up I-65.

Ironically this past summer I had a conversation with a well known taxidermist who does striper reproduction mounts who said he had just come back from fishing for stripers in AL and I think he said in a week they boated something like 17 fish from 20 to 30 something lbs. Certainly got my curiosity about the AL fishery piqued. Then too I know a striper guru that used to guide for a living on, among other watersheds, the Coosa drainage.....so maybe we can help each other out. I've been thinking I'd like to learn more about the AL fisheries....just for change of scenery...or some additional options and I certainly feel plenty comfortable answering any of your questions on the basics.

I should also add that I am very committed to catch & release for these fish, particularly for the landlocked (read not self sustaining) striper fisheries. In my view, if you want fish to eat, go to the grocery store or Captain D's, it's a much better value, a lot less work and leaves these wonderful fish to keep on growing! Besides catfish, crappie and bream taste better anyway.

Tim