Fishing the Alewife spawn - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Fishing the Alewife spawn

How do you guys fish the Alewife spawn when the Alewives are spawning but there are no Stripers busting the surface? Are the stripers laying at a drop off just beyond the shallows where the alewives are spawing? Are they just laying under the water and maybe not being aggressive? I can't imagine with such an easy meal that the stripers would be too far away. But, I've seen it happen where there are litererally thousands of alewives spawning and there are no signs of stripers in the area. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Official Member

They are there if its loaded up with bait and if they arent they are near by. This past week we only heard a few fish comming up and we managed a few and missed a few more. Just keep on pluggin!
Old 05-07-2006, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I'm sure they're there, but when the alewives get really thick it seems like I only catch smallmouths and walleyes but no stripers. It just seems kind of strange. I'll try some different techniques, because I know they have to be in the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement