first trip to PI this weekend - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Striper Hunter

Default first trip to PI this weekend

surfcasting, not looking for any particular spots, but help with the general geography of the area/parking etc would be largely appreciated, as well as any tide advice (general help with fishing high/low on the river/oceanside, etc)

I have checked the area out on google maps. It looks like there are 2 jetties at the mouth that people could fish. There is also a stretch of beach from the jetty inland to the river side (west) and a very long stretch of beach from the jetty south on the oceanside.

Ive fished florida a ton, and most people down there look for bait first and foremost. It seems most here look for structure/etc first. Is this correct?

Where do most park (or are there several options) and where should I start, in general. Ill be looking to get out there at 5 or 6 and will probably cast until my arm falls off. May stop and get some live bait after my arms are spent and take it easy for a while, so any recommendations for that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Schoolie

Default Re: first trip to PI this weekend

Short answer - head to Surfland on PI and you will get all the info you need on what has been working. Once you cross the bridge on to the island, it is directly ahead of you on the right hand side, can't miss it.

As of right now, the entire length of the refuge beach (south of the mouth, starting where the houses end on Google Earth to the southern tip of the island) is closed to protect the Plovers.

You are not allowed to fish from the North Jetty.

However, there are plenty of spots to fish.

I would focus on the area from Plum Island Point (which is the northernmost bit of the island INSIDE the jetties- and is referred to as "in the river"), the south jetty (which you can fish on, but it is a difficult walk as the jetty is just a jumble of huge blocks, not a flat surface) and the beach front from the south jetty to the start of the wildlife refuge.

-- Tom