Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Page 6 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 AM
First Mate

Thumbs up Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

haven't posted in sometime ,been busy . But the last 2 weeks on the cali aquaduct has been pretty good . flow is slow and have been catching cats around 4 pounds and lots of stripers around 17 inches using hair raisers at about one ounce with a red head. best results in a long time between Tracy and the truck stop at Grayson. Anchovies have been hitting a lot more than shad. Just landed a 26 inch striper in the san joaquin at Lathrop sunday. more reports soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Just bought a boat recently 18', if any local ( Modesto) would like to fish. Let me know... Troy
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM
First Mate

traveled down to bakersfield this week for work and made as much time as possible to fish .Tried at twiddelman rd and had no luck on bait or lures . next day went to west of buttonwillow and had the same no luck on bait and lures. Stooped at grayson rd on the way back up I -5 and landed 7 stripes between 12 inches and 19 inches on a 3/4 oz hairraiser within 1 hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Official Member

Good job on finding them got to be cold out there.
Here in the a.m. been 16 to 18deg.s.....
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM
First Mate

no luck on anchovies or shad recently . latest reports from the guys at work is that their biting on red worms and chicken liver. It has been cold in the mornings here ,starting out at about 28 degrees with the highs around the upper 40's . has anyone seen this pattern of the stripers going from cut bait fish to more bloodier baits when it turns colder ?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
First Mate

fished the delta mendota after work today right behind the tracy airport. nothing on lures but my friend had some big cat bites on power bait . will update tomorrow with what we get when we fish with only worms and power bait .
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
First Mate

LOTS of action in tracy area . 17 inch and 3 15 inch and a 19 inch stripers in 2 day after work plus a 15 inch cat all from the same spot in the cailfornia aquaduct.There must be a car down there that is holding the fish since they all seem to come out of a 20 foot area .Will not be fishing in the next couple of days but will hit it again soon.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Striper Hunter

This is my first post i want to say how much i enjoyed this thread. I fished the ducts back in the 1970s we fished with 6' rods and Mitchell 300 reels (i still have mine), surf leaders, two hooks and a one once sinkers. Once in a while we would fish Carolina rigs. For bait we would use cut bait anchovies and Sardines and fresh clams. We caught a mostly catfish along with some small to keeper size stripers. I have not done a lot of fishing sense the 1980s. Now that i am retired i want to fish the ducts a lot this year. I look forward to trying lures and free lineing chicken liver. I all so have learned about float rig that lets fish any dept in fast moving water. If anyone is interested i will post how to rig it. I live in Manteca so i want to start fishing in tracy and work my way south. Thanks for all the info everyone.

P.S. was that Powder Bait for catfish your friend was fishing with and what did you think of it.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Striper Hunter

I went fishing the California aqueduct to Drove from spot to spot looking for strippers. The last spot i went to to day i caught three in a hour a 15" 17" and a 18" i was fishing with light gear with 8lb line. I was using chicken liver for bait.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Welcome aboard mike 56.. went back out to the same spot in tracy and just about lost my pole , luckily it hung up on the pole holder before it went in.missed the fish but it had to have some size to it since the water was still and the pole is large. I still have not used chicken liver in the ducts but some of the guys at work swear by it , should give it a try this week. We have been seeing some big fish feeding on on the south side of the bridge at tracy blvd but none of the swim baits or lures have caught one of them yet. The power bait was bright red salmon egg flavor ,he used about 1/3 of the bottle on a huge trebel hook ,the massive wad of bait looked like a bobber from where I was standing. did you catch the 3 fish using the float rig ? how do you keep a 1 ounce weight from climbing up the side of the banks with a moving current. I use a three or 4 ounce weight in the current .
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Striper Hunter

I caught the three on light gear( a little heaver than ultra light) with 8# test line i was having so much fun i did not break out a bigger rod. You need larger gear to use the float rig. I tied a circle hook on my line 12" up from the hook i used a 3/4 oz clamp on sinker. I was fishing at a gate that was open so the current was crazy. I casted close to the gates and let the current carry the bait. The bait ended up on the edge but that is were i caught two of the strippers. The float rig i want to use you put a sliding sinker or sinker slider with enough weight to keep your line were you want it. Next put a bead, sliding bobber, bead then a swivel with a 18" leader with a hook. You cast out and tighten your line down to your sinker. Then let some line to what ever level you want to fish. If you let out two feet of line you be fishing two feet off the bottom if you let out four feet of line you will be fish four feet off the bottom. You get the idea. I bought a black/chrome Rat-L-Trap, 3/4 oz Bucktail and some 3/4 shad jig head with some Zoom super Flukes to try.
Tight lines,
Mike
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Took two of my grand kids fishing at the Modesto Reservoir last Monday had a great time we caught five trout. I went to the ducts Wednesday no dice not even a bite. It was windy and cold. I some driving found a lot of good spots to fish. I will be going out again next week looking for fish. I am going to use bait to find them then i will start learning how to fish the lures i bought.
Tight Lines,
Mike

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Striper Hunter

in the past 5 weeks i have caught 109 stripers out of the duct, tracy, fresno county. yes iv kept track im having a friendly comp.
iv only started fishing the duct 6 weeks ago and im hooked. ill be out tomorrow
a couple from last week.
7#

6 and 7#

this one went 8#
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Official Member

I've tried finishing for stripers with limited success on the stanislaus river and I'm looking to find a new spot in the area. For you guys fishing the canals around Tracy is there anywhere in particular that is open to fishing or are you free to walk them and fish? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:34 AM
Striper Hunter

Yes you can walk the aqueducts to fish. There are also fishing access areas for the ducts. http://www.water.ca.gov/recreation/b...hingSWPeng.pdf
Tight Lines,
Mike