Weapons of Bass destruction. - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building > Step By Step Plug Making Tutorials
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Default Re: Weapons of Bass destruction.

Some great stuff there Dad. I missed this thread the other day. I figured I would just vouch for you and let everyone know the story of the fish in the bed is very true. Anyone that has been around our family knows this story. I still love hearing it. Wake up with a nice striper staring at you, now thats great!!!! Keep the lesson going, I'm definately learning something from this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

that story is great, i will have to remember that one next time the wife gives me crap about fishing...lol. i would have to sleep with one eye open though..my wife gets even....
Old 05-17-2007, 09:53 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Jigs....
If given only one lure to catch any game fish, not just striped bass, I would choose a jig.
Jigs are with out a doubt the most versatile lure evermade... they can be fished deep, or shallow, fast or slow, from boat or surf... tipped with a pork rind, soft plastic or artificial; pork like a Berkly gulp, they will take fish day or night..

My preferance is white, yellow is a close second, but under some conditions a chatreuse or red jig will do buisness when others are failing..

I'm going to show the making of a jig, starting with virgin lead bought at a plumbing suppluy store, I prefer the virgin lead over tire weights or other forms, if you can score some old flashing your in the game for cheap.

In the following sequence of photo's I am NOT wearing safty gear, the reason for this is solely for camera opperting reasons( I canot set the camera on auto, and still have time to get all my gear set, the gloves get in the way of the buttons), whenever working with hot lead, it is advisable to wear an apron, heavy leather gloves and protective shoes or boots, as it is easy to spill lead and have it spatter, a full face shield is also a very good Idea, always have a well ventilated area to protect yourself from any and all fumes... again, the photos here are for illistration porposes only and do not depict the way I normaly handle hot lead....

First heat your lead in your lead pot, shown here is a palmer lead pot, the pour through pots are better and safer....

I like to do a dry pour to heat up the mold, just pour in the lead to get the feel of the flow, this will also help keep the surface of the lead from wrinkeling....

Set your hooks in your mold, close and check that all the hooks are seated and the mold is closed tight, slowly trickle the lead into the mold, as each cavity fills, move on to the next, once your done pouring the mold can be emptied, and the next batch set up and poured.

Once the jigs have cooled remove the flashing and either return it to the pot or save it for the next pour.

Any burs can be filed off, be sure to wear a particle mask and gloves.. avoid breathing the lead dust.

now prepare your powder paint, shake it gently to loosten it up, heat your jigs with a small torch ( I know I'm using a big one) for about 4 seconds each side, experience is the only way to know just how much heat to use( needle nose vise grips work well for holding the jig and protecting the fingers from a burn)... you dont want to melt your jig... if the jig is not hot enough to melt the paint.. brush off the powder and re-heat... Hang and allow to cool.
After your jigs are cooled,secure them in a vise or fly tying vice, take several wraps of thread and secure with a half hitch, cut a small batch of bucktail, loop the thread around the hair and roll it around so it covers the whole base of the jig... again, practice makes perfect... the saying less is more applies to jigs, too much bucktail makes the jig not breath as well, I added about double the amount I would normaly use so the camera would pick it up, once the hair is posistioned secure with several wraps and a half hithe ( basicly an overhand knot) then trim the butt ends and finish the wraps, coat with Sally Hansen hard as nails or 5 minute epoxy...
Do it mold

Pure Lead

lead pot

Prepare to pour

Pouring

poured jigs

remove the flashing
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 09:57 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

now to dip..

ready to dip

Powder paint

heating the jig

Dipping

Tie off the thread

Tie off bucktail

Trim and finish
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the fiinal product ready to fish.... if you want to make the paint even more durable, you can bake the jigs in a 250 oven (toaster oven works well) for 20 minutes... I loose to many jigs to bother with this step.

finished bucktails
Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

24 hours after being poured.... first one with a Berkly gulp soft plastic trailer, the other with just a plain jig, no trailer, nothing (I got tired of replacing the trailer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jigfish II.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jigfish I.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1880  
Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

lookin good roc...
see that everyone...roc not only makes his own stuff, but he uses it...and catches fish!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

ahh old friend! you look mighty cold. shoulda seen me today and last night. wind and rain and cold here for now. did i mention the bluefish (again) glad you are into some fish by now. i will send the fly;s out tomorrow so you can get the schoolies on you fly rod (which i see is the first rod you can grab hanging in your shop.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Roc-
Wondering, why not use the wheel weight?
It's harder, fills well, weighs almost the same, easier to come by (for me).
I use the flashing and other pure(?) lead for my .75 musket balls and never have enough balls,,,,, ( oops, ya kno what I mean).
Anyways, why not the wheelweight or line-o-type?

Excellent post by-the-way, I look forwad to every addition.
You should put this in a cheap "Fisherman Mag" style book form and sell all along the coast to the tourist! You'd be a millionaire. Probably be considered an "instant classic" too! Seriously.

Hope you're going to include homemade tins & spoons?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Official Member

Dynamite articles for sure!...but, I dunno, in that photo of removing the flashing they sure look like my ole Kleins ya cut off the spues with donchaknow? *S*
Old 05-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Lunker

rocc--

thank you so much for this thread...awesome, man
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 AM
swabbie

This is a great overview that everyone can learn from!

I've been having a lot of luck using smaller crippled herring jigs for bass this spring in the Boston Harbor. It makes sense since they are feeding on the herring right now. I like them because they get deep and don't use a trebble hook. Just thought I'd throw that out there as another potenial weapon for people.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
This is a great overview that everyone can learn from!

I've been having a lot of luck using smaller crippled herring jigs for bass this spring in the Boston Harbor. It makes sense since they are feeding on the herring right now. I like them because they get deep and don't use a trebble hook. Just thought I'd throw that out there as another potenial weapon for people.
Crippled herring is a great lure, I'll cover them when I post on spoons and jigs...
Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Veteran

Well the first plug that I saw on the top left was, and still is my favorite. Blue and white Atoms Popper 1 1/4 oz. by Bob Pond. I can't go out without one. I also love the 7/8 oz. and also love the yellow and red combo in both sizes. Bob Pond gave me my first one in the tri-state years ago to try.

Rocco The one thing I saw in the photo was the old plug with the brand new hooks. I hope they saw them, brand new hooks.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Official Member

Hey Roc,

Great info here! I just bought my father a swimming plug kit for Father's Day and I'm wondering what paint to use as a finish? Spray paint with clear coat? He's used to building furniture, this lure will be a first for him.

Thanks