Cajun Red Lightnin' Leader material? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Freshwater Tackle Box > Tackle evaluation and freshwater product reviews
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle evaluation and freshwater product reviews thsi forum is for sweetwater tackle and wiper tackle reviews

Old 11-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Pro Staff

Default Cajun Red Lightnin' Leader material?

Has anyone tried this stuff? It's wicked cheap. Seems I remember a post about it from back in the spring, but my searches didn't turn anything up and I don't remember what was said about it.

Last time I bought leader material I bought Vanish Floro at Wal-Mart. Then I read all the posts about how poor the knot strength was. Sure 'nuf the stuff sucks.

Was pricing Ande Floro and my reflex to hide my wallet was almost uncontrollable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 05:47 PM

I've used Cajun line in 8# test in fresh water and it seems OK, a bit of memory but not too bad. In heavier test it might not be a bad leader. Remember, even though they say red is the first color to not be distinguished as you get deeper in the water, it doesn't mean it becomes invisible - it means it looks grey.

When you consider how much you actually use in a season, flouro really isn't that expensive and it's the only line that truly does hide in the water.

Triplefish is good stuff and a lot cheaper than most of the others.
And yes, Vanish is GARBAGE !
Old 11-30-2005, 06:00 PM

A little science.
As Sudsy just stated the red color isnt invisible it just turns grey. That point about leader material is due to its refractory index. (the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction for a ray passing out of one of the media into the other )

Simply put, water has a refractory index of 1.33, and if your leader had that same refractory index it would be totally invisible in water. Fluorocarbon leaders have a refractory index of 1.42 - compared to an index value of 1.62 for nylon monofilament.
Their own promo is misleading.
How does cajun Line dissappear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Staff

Cool. That makes sense. Thanks for the input. I was thinking of trying it for Tog rigs. Not sure how leader shy they are, you do tend to hang up a lot of rigs to the rocks and it would be nice to make the rigs out of less expensive material. On the other hand Floro is more abrasion resistant than Mono, so it might be worth it when you have a fish on in the rocks.

Since I'm using a basic dropper loop rig with the weight tied to the bottom, I can't really use a lighter test for the sinker to break off when it gets hung up. Tend to loose the whole rig.

I might tie some with a 3 way instead of a dropper loop that way I can use a cheaper light test mono to the sinker and not lose the expensive floro every time it gets hung up.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:23 PM

I've never known Tog to be very leader shy - I've always used regular mono leader.

Might not be a bad idea to bring along a spool of flouro just in case they decide to get picky.