Kayak questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Kayak questions

Ok I see we don't have many posts in this section so hopefully I'm not talking to myself here....im sure a few of ya'll yak for stripers.

Anyways I plan on saving up and getting a Hobie kayak for next year's striper season (I wont be home till October so I want the hobie by next spring). Right now I'm about to get a kayak from a buddy for pretty much free. I don't know much about it except that it's a tandem yak, about 13 feet long and weighs about 60-70 pounds. I believe it's made by wilderness kayaks but I'm not positive.

Now for the questions: I know tandems can be a hassle but how easy are they to maneuver on the water by one person?

Are they more stable or just as stable as a smaller solo yak?

In the harbor (Boston harbor) who realistic is it to kayak, and do the tides make a difference?

It's been years since I've been back home on the water so I'm a little rusty...don't even recall seeing anybody yak for stripers. Out here in Cali people take yaks out pretty far and even catch sharks and other 50+pound fish species....stripers should be no problem but I think the tide swings may effect some days on the water.

Pretty much any tips or pointers would be appreciated, as my questions are pretty random.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Kayak questions

No kayakers??
Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Pro Staff

I've never used a tandem kayak, so can't really answer your question on that. Boston harbor is perfect for kayaking though, and there are quite a few kayak fishermen who frequent it.

Wilderness makes a decent kayak, from what I've heard. Just depends on how it's set up. I strongly recommend a rudder. It makes a world of difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 PM

Thanks Jake. For now im working on how im gonna transport the yak cross country....now i have to buy a roof rack for my truck $$$$.

Im gonna save up for a Hobie so this one will be great for taking my nephew on some of the local ponds....cant wait to get in a Hobie one day with the mirage drive......definitely a fishing machine!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Don't know much about a tandem, but a Hobie is fantastic. I have a Revo and it's a really good all around choise. Fast, comfy, and stable.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:12 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSfisher0311 View Post
Thanks Jake. For now im working on how im gonna transport the yak cross country....now i have to buy a roof rack for my truck $$$$
I don't know what type of vehicle your driving, but people have used 2x3 across their roof rack (if equipped) with foam warped around them, and strapped the yak down on top. If you don't have a roof rack, you could just lay a couple pool noodles across the roof and strap the yak down on top like that.

Those are just some cheap quick ideas.

Good luck
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Official Member

I love fishing, I just got into kayak fishing. I fish towards Cape Cod in MASS.
One thing I hate about saltwater is the tides, they don't seem to work with my work schedule!