Need advice on a guide or charter - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum > Saltwater Striper Clubs
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Striper Clubs Saltwater clubs and organizations

Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Official Member

Default Need advice on a guide or charter

I am going to be visiting the North East (Concord, New Hamshire at first) next May 28-June 5. I'm a certified fishing addict and living in the Pacific Northwest and I've got a bug to catch a striper. This is mostly a sightseeing trip visiting my wife's family, but the deal I've arranged with the wife is that I get a guided fishing day for stripers.
So my question to all the 247 guys is where should I be fishing (fresh vs. salt) and what are some good guides within those parameters? I would also like to know if I should fish closer to May 26 or June 5 based on the tides and moons?
Thanks a ton in advance!
rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Need advice on a guide or charter

You will not be too far from the Plum Island area of Northern Mass. That area should be real good that time of year. Looking ahead to the tides and moon phase I'd say Tuesday through Sunday all has potential. I'd consider late night with live eels. The local shop there is Surfland bait and tackle and they can help you out I am sure

Good luck
Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Official Member

Were is this best state to catch stipers this week ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete72 View Post
were is this best state to catch stipers this week ?
i am looking to go on a road trip and catch stripers ,i will drive to what state they are running through
Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublerunner View Post
you will not be too far from the plum island area of northern mass. That area should be real good that time of year. Looking ahead to the tides and moon phase i'd say tuesday through sunday all has potential. I'd consider late night with live eels. The local shop there is surfland bait and tackle and they can help you out i am sure

good luck
so what state do you recomend to fish in this time of year
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Official Member

Does anyone have advice were i can catch stripers the next 3 days in wich state are they catching them this time of year?and anyone know a great guide for 3 people?will travel to any state.looking to slam i know they are on the move so do really need solid advice?thanks to anyone that can help a brother out?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 AM

Let me answer Blind pigs question first.
Quote:
North East (Concord, New Hamshire at first) next May 28-June 5.
The seacoast is a 40 to 50 mile drive east from Concord.
Rye New Hampshire is just North of Hampton Beach, a drive along the Seacoast on route 1A will take you to Rye Harbor. Portsmouth is another mile and a half and then your pretty much into Maine.
Both of these areas have whale watching tours and Charter trips.
Fun for the entire family.
Here is an online guide to the entire seacoast.
I visited last summer and had some luck surfcasting at Hampton beach boulder piles - a couple of short fish on a locally made Mackeral spook, While the GF tanned and got bored. Bring quarters for the meter.
(Its tough to get fishing time with other people along.)
You can also go South a little bit into Massachusetts to Salisbury or Newburyport. / Plum Island. they have charters berthing out there as well where you can go fluking day time.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete
Does anyone have advice were i can catch stripers the next 3 days in wich state are they catching them this time of year?and anyone know a great guide for 3 people?will travel to any state.looking to slam i know they are on the move so do really need solid advice?thanks to anyone that can help a brother out?
Right now the fish are spawning in the Chesapeake - others are moving into the Delaware Bay and river and others traveling up the coast towards the Hudson and beyond.
The weather has been rough and for the most part they will hunker down in lousy weather but this new moon and some warmer water will have them on the move again.
Its almost impossible to tell where they are in numbers right now that is fishable. Virginia was where they were in numbers before they moved off last week and thier season ends April 1st.
Back bays are the best bet and shallow waters that are warming.
New Jersey will be picking up very very soon as the fish make the migration and the schoolies leave the rivers and run along the beaches to the back bays.
The Charters out of the Atlantic Highlands, Brielle and Belmar haven't started to target them yet and the season in New York opens April 15th.
The Hudson is starting to see fish in the lower river up to Croton. The fishery opened March 16 th above the George Washington Bridge. My advice is to look in the threads at the charters listed on the site and give one a call.
Long John is running soon as is the angler fleet in Long Island sound.
Most of the guys are taking bookings now for the next month or so.
Have a look at the sub forums regionally. Many of the guys have web sites and post reports.
They wont be Running solid and fast until May.
Thats the best I could tell you right now.