Roccus' Rigged eel tutorial - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building > Step By Step Plug Making Tutorials
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Roccus' Rigged eel tutorial

Rigging a dead eel is not an exact science, I learned from a gents name, I never knew on the banks of the cape cod canal back in 1976...I've caught alot of fish on eels rigged just as he showed me.....

first you need your eels, I save a few from the nights fishing, the ones that dont skinned and brined, get rigged and go in my buddy's bait freezer...

I make my rigging needles from a length of coat hanger, pound one end flat and drill a 1/16 hole for the thread, the other end is ground to a Sharp point on a grinding wheel...

you will need lengths of Dacron line, dental floss also works well

you need some hooks, use both 7/0 gamagatsu live bait hooks and gami octopus style hooks...

I begin by taking a double length of Dacron, 6'8" longer than the bait and snelling one end onto the hook, the other end is inserted into the needle, the needle is then inserted behind the vent (some guy's insert it in the vent but I find the hook rides better inserted in it's own hole) it takes some practice, but once you have done a few, you can do it in your sleep, bring the needle out the mouth and remove it from the thread, now take your mouth hook and figure where you want it to ride, I mark mine with a sharpie,once I've got that figured out, I run the thread through the eye of a hook and a barrel swivel and tie a series of half hitches around the shank, once this is done weight can be added if you so desire, I prefer to leave mine unweighted and wrap solder or thin strips of lead around the nose to adjust the weight to my conditions...

Now using a carpet needle and a 12' length of Dacron, go up through the chin and out the top of the jaw, several times ON EACH SIDE OF THE JAW.. a series of half hitches will secure the thread, I like to add a drop of super glue to secure the knot..

this step is important.... lay your eel flat and position your hooks exactly like you want them, then TIGHTLY lash them in place with several wraps of Dacron, tie off and add a drop of super glue..

this is a most potent bait, even when it is stinky and rotten it still will catch fish...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Rigging a dead eel

cast them as you would a sluggo, retrieve slowly with an occasional twitch...

Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Default Rigged eel tutorial by roccus

"Rigged eels have some distinct advantages over live ones. They're more convenient because you can keep them frozen for a long period of time, even refreezing them multiple times. They're less complicated to bring fishing. They cast significantly farther than live ones. They track better in turbulent water. When fished with a swivel they are easily interchanged with artificials. In terms of effectiveness they are often every bit as effective as live eels.
The biggest drawback is the time it takes to rig one. I tie them with durability and quality in mind over speed of rigging, but with practice they can be tied in less than 15 minutes".

From A Season on the Edge
John Skinner