Just got my first Yak! Need advice on a rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Just got my first Yak! Need advice on a rod

Hey all-

Im in the market for a new rod and could use some advice bfore I head to local b and T shops. Currently I usually go plugging and use a 7' Med-Heav power, Medium action St. Croix Tidemaster Rod. Rated for 10-20 lb test, 1/2 - 1oz. Works great for schoolies and have caught some keepers as well.

I need a 2nd, versatile rod. I'm looking for a rod that I can throw some bigger plugs and when necessary some bait, eels, sandworms, etc. I've bought a kayak that I'm eagerly waiting to put to use. So I'd also like to do a little trolling with this rod- nothing crazy, prob just a tube/worm.

I really like my St. Croix, so maybe I could just pick up a St croix rated for heavier plugs? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Is it reasonable to think that I can find a rod that I can use for bigger plugs, and some light baits and trolling? I won't be throwing big chunks of bunker with weight on it... I have a beat up, ugly stick I us for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Just got my first Yak! Need advice on a rod

I would actually go lighter. Regular medium action rods are good all around and can handle any fish you will encounter. I have two medium heavy setups, spinning and conventional, that I barely even use.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Just got my first Yak! Need advice on a rod

I personally have my penn with 30 pound braided 7' one piece rod for trolling and a second smaller rod with braid for my top water lures.