Making an eels skin needle... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building > Step By Step Plug Making Tutorials
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Making an eels skin needle...

Ok so you have a few smaller eels that have succumbed from one thing or the other.... the last few years, do to all the eels shortage talk, I've made a serious effort to use more plugs and use less eels, and when I do use eels to recycle them as much as practical..

First, you need an eel, a smaller ( for this application) needle fish type plug, a sharp knife or razor. and some waxed dental floss... to make an "eels skinner" I use a 7/0 or 8/0 Siwash ( barb ground off) with a loop on line through the eye, this will be hooked onto a cleat or nail and the eel secured by pushing the hook through the head of the eel just in front of the cranium bone...

If your not going to use the eel Immediately, put coat the skin inside and out with Kosher salt and dry the skin, and put them in a baggie with additional Kosher salt.. they should be kept cool until they cure...

To use, simply soak the skin in water until pliable then pull the skin up over the plug after removing the rear hook... I do not reinstall the rear hook, bass often times will inhale this plug and the tail hook often times does too much damage to the fish...

To skin the eel, pin the critter ( it's easier if it's dead!) make a circular cut just behind the gill, just cutting through the skin, work the skin free with a pair of quality pliers, once you have enough to grasp, one quick tug and you own it!

the skin can be put on the eel, inside or outside out, I prefer to leave the skin reversed, feeling that the translucent color and any remaining flesh,adds to the appeal, even when the skin has been cured...
once the skin is pulled up over the plug ( the front hook can be removed the the entire plug encased) then it is secured with a short length of dental floss...

This plug is a potent weapon, I've found that on those nights when they are just bumping the needle but not taking, the skin needle is the perfect medicine!

When you're done fishing return the skin to the salt for storage, you can leave it on the plug, but removing the remaining hook will prolong it's life and integrity...

Special Thanks to Coalman for taking the "action" photo's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 489.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	7480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Skinning an eel.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	7481   Click image for larger version

Name:	skin and plug.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	7486   Click image for larger version

Name:	appling the skin.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	7487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skinning the plug.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished plug.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	7489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sknin needle.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	7490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished product II.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	7491  
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Making an eels skin needle...

Nice!

Roc, in a surf situation, minimal current, average waves, do you like a fast, medium or no sink needle ??
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I like the slow sink Suds, the way and places I fish are exactly the same conditions you encounter if your standing up to your belly in the water, the only difference is I'm fan casting a 360 around the boat,I find the slow sink most versatile and the majority of what I build are slow sinkers..I like the no sink for flats and those real calm nights, and of coarse when the tides ripping or the surf is raging, I go with the heavy lead rockets...
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

excellent as if you didn;t notice the groove in the plug made just for the floss step of this tutorial > ladies be particularly studius on how to strip an eel from it's flesh! "{ms. bobbit woulda loved this tutorial i am sure" (ouch!) BTW, ladies also can get a few pointers on how to quickly apply a condom or jimi 4290?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Official Member

Lol.

Stupid question maybe, but roc say the plug doesn't have a groove for the floss, could you dremel one to make it easier? Or is that going to mess everything up?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Official Member

Nice looking needle, specially with the skin slapped on.
Nick
Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Joe likes to make plugs that catch Big Bass.