when does striper season end in nyc area? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 10-03-2004, 10:19 PM

Default when does striper season end in nyc area?

When does striper season end in nyc area??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Nyc

The last official day is December 15th. however if your still fishing, its unlawful to target or keep the species. Not unlawful to catch and release though as a by catch. The fish however remain in the area well into January in some cases. The only month that i havent caught bass in New York has been February. When water temps dip below 50 the bite slows signigicantly but doesnt stop completely.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:09 PM

are there any places by the shore in brooklyn or bayside(queens) area to catch stripers..?? also, is there a best time to catch stripers during the day or night near the shore??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 04:37 PM

Default wanna catch

All over. Brooklyn : I would start with Gateway National Recreation areas. Gateway requires permits either to fish or park. (worth it)
(see Brooklyn and Queens pages also)
Flloyd Bennet Field, Breezy Point, Gerritson Beach. and then there is 69th street pier. Sheepshead Bay, Canarsie Pier, Red Hook. (not gateway]

Queens: Jamaica Bay
Bayside Marina, Broad Channel Beach, Cross Bay Bridge, Jetties at the entrance to fort totten in Bayside.
also Fort Tilden Park. NYC parks dept.

Gateway NRA is a 26,000 acre recreation area located in the heart of the New York metropolitan area. The park extends through three New York City boroughs and into northern New Jersey. Fishing permits are required for night time.

Parking Fee
Details
GATEWAY HAS NO ENTRANCE FEES. However, Beach Parking Fees are charged at Sandy Hook and Jacob Riis Park during the summer. Annual passes are available for Sandy Hook.
ACTIVITY FEES
* Fishing Permit
Fees
$50 - Annual (recently raised)

Details
There are fees for parking in fishing lots at all Gateway sites. Permits are available at Gateway Visitor Centers/Ranger Stations.

Public Affairs Office
(718) 354-4606 Jamaica Bay Unit
(718) 338-3799 Staten Island Unit
(718) 354-4500

You can Also purchase a yearly National parkpass for $50. that allows you access to any National park that requires an entry fee. You can purchase one online at their web site. https://buy.nationalparks.org/default.asp?ref=nps
Old 10-10-2004, 02:02 AM

thanx for the info. I heard the boats down in sheepshed bay are catching some 20-30lbs stripers. I'm Planning on going on that tomorrow morning...
Old 10-10-2004, 02:17 AM

Default wanna catch

I heard the same thing. Night trips are best. 7PM trip to 1 Am I almost went last night myself to sheepshead bay because I missed the tide. xcept I got interupted with somethin important. The highlands are the same distance for me. I either take the parkway or the VZ bridge. whichever has less traffic.

High tide is around 6 PM tomorrow evening too. I may fish the shore I dont know.

Paupack is 25 miles from me I may give it a shot too some evening next week. . :D

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:55 AM

went on the party boats down at sheepshedbay 4 times during the past two weeks.. Caught nothing yet.. bummer.. One dude caught one that was about 20 inches which i think was below the limit but he kept it.. I'm planning on driving down to Montauk tomorrow afternoon and spend the weekend there in hopes of catching a striper... Wish me luck! :)
Old 10-29-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Sheepshead

The wind screwed up the fishing something awful last week. You were not alone in getting the skunko. Man that sucks when the boats are getting skunked. 4 times I would get pissed and head to Montauk. I used to think I was sharp and go top the atlantic Highlands instead of sheepshead bay ubtil I realized they were heading to the same spots in Raritan bay. One from the North and one from south :shock: Best of luck in Montauk. Have fun.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:08 AM

Default striperjim info needed

Hey, I read your report from last fall. And you mentioned fishing around gateway national park. I'm new to the surf fishing scene, cause I live in Ontario so I do a lot of river fishing for steelhead. But what I wanted to ask you is, I played golf at Marine Park? Do you know where that is? I think its on Rockaway blvd. I remember the golf course being close to the water. Is this area a good spot for surf fishing for stripers? Or do I need to travel more to get into them. I plan on going there this spring or early summer so any info is helpfull. I've heard stories about Sandys hook, but I don't want to pay the 50 bucks to fish it. And I don't need a license to fish the surf right? Don't matter anyway I bought a NY license for this year anyway.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 07:08 AM

Welcome to the site snory :P

No saltwater license needed for New York. Only need the fresh for the New York side of the Delaware and the non tidal Hudson. above the tappen Z, I think is the line. Ill double check.
You can fish gateway in the daytime for free. Just cant be there after dark without the sticker. Including the hook. The hook has parkin fees in the day but not an activity fee till night time. Thats the gateway sticker, if you purchase one you'll need your license, registation $50 check or money order and tackle with you in the car.
Jamaica bay is striper country especially in the spring.
Now Marine park is marshland. Fillmore Avenue between Gerritsen Avenue and East Thirty-eighth Street. It is connected to flatbush avenue and Jamaica Bay. I think the golfcourse was marshland and Floyd Bennet airfield was also and were filled in. There are many beaches and jetties in this area that access the bay. Along with gerritsen beach and Breezy point in Queens. (. All gateway)Theres also a nudie beach over there called riis park, but their mostly native nudies if you get my drift.
I havent fished there so a scouting trip beforehand if possible would be prudent along with a phone call to the local area tackle shop.
https://www.stripers247.com/Brooklyn.htm

Tackle shop #s Zip is 11234. Flatbush Ave shops probably helpful. I hope someone familiar with this area chimes in.
Will pass along info as I get it.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:52 PM

striperjim, you said "Jamaica bay is striper country especially in the spring" your gettin me excited. I can't wait to get down there. I'm going to try early spring, easter weekend. Just to scope things out, hopefully I can find some.