Sufix line - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 01-13-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Sufix line

Anybody use any of the Sufix monos? Any feedback? Is it IGFA approved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Can't really help as I haven't used mono in a few years.
However, keep in mind, if you're after a record, IGFA approved and gauranteed IGFA rated break strength can be two different things.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 AM

Sadlsorz

I'll have to research it for you but if I remember correctly there is no such thing as a line being approved by the IGFA.
The breaking strength as Sudsy has said is the most important factor. A lines actual breaking strength (in pounds of pressure) is different than the manufacturers rated strength. Usually a line will overtest its rated strength. Some of the more expensive lines are closer to actual breaking strength and thats what the IGFA uses.
Also if your leader is more than 20 feet your catch is disqualified.
Heres the Sufix web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 12:43 PM

Ah here it is. It was a question regarding power pro.
Sufix does btw claim their lines are IGFA rated.

Is PowerPro IGFA Rated?
Special thanks to Doug Blodgett of the IGFA for his help in the preparation of this answer.

The main question I get from anglers regarding Power Pro line is: Is PowerPro line IGFA legal? The answer is yes, of course. Only wire lines are prohibited. The problem with Power Pro, if anything, is that it tends to overtest into the next category. This is a moot point, though, because the only applications that come in listing Power Pro as the line used are All-Tackle records and Junior records. Line tests are not required for these particular categories. Generally, braided lines and the like overtest into the next category. If a line class record application came in where the angler used Power Pro, I would need to test it just as I would any other line class record.
Doug Blodgett
International Game Fish Association
World Records Administrator

PS by PowerPro:
No Lines are IGFA rated. Line manufacturers sometimes label lines as ?IGFA class? which means that the line will break close to but not exceeding the IGFA class. For example, a single Mfg. Might make two separate 20 lb monofilament lines, their normal line which will overtest, and their 10 kg. IGFA Class (20 lb) line which is thinner and not as strong. 10 kg = 22.02 Lbs, and for a line to qualify for the 10 kg. class it must test no more than 22.02.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I used the wrong word when I said approved. I wasn't sure how the IGFA approved a record based on the line. I'm looking for a different mono(I use Trilene Big Game) b/c I just can't seem to make the switch over to braid. I've tried a few braids and dumped them the next day.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 PM

A good examle of the following is Ande line.
For example, a single Mfg. Might make two separate 20 lb monofilament lines, their normal line which will overtest, and their 10 kg. IGFA Class (20 lb) line which is thinner and not as strong. 10 kg = 22.02 Lbs, and for a line to qualify for the 10 kg. class it must test no more than 22.02.
The clear will test out close to its rated strength. The tournament green will test almost exactly and the pink you could pull a horse from the water before it broke on you.
I like the ande monos btw and pretty much use them exclusively.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks a million Jim. Do you ever use any braid?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:14 AM

SS
I've always liked mono because of the stretch. I just check for nicks and cut away some after each fish or outing. Only the last few seasons I keep a reel or two spooled with 30 and 50 pound power pro. It took a little while to get used to. Some reels seemed to lay it down better than others. I keep a baitrunner spooled with 50 pound test and a Z series reel filled with 30. I also keep a freshwater reel with 10 pound power pro. I dont have a lot of experience using braid. I've used fireline when it first came out but it seemed to fray too much for me and I had some trouble with wind knots. Not so much because of the line but because of my inexperience with casting it.