Portable Live Well?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Portable Live Well??

I have a small runabout, 18'. I am looking for a portable live well for herring. Anyone know where to get one. I am not the mechanical type to build one. I have seen some pretty creative ones out there. Do they sell them or does anyone know anyonne who builds and sells them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Portable Live Well??

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCDOGG View Post
I have a small runabout, 18'. I am looking for a portable live well for herring. Anyone know where to get one. I am not the mechanical type to build one. I have seen some pretty creative ones out there. Do they sell them or does anyone know anyonne who builds and sells them.
Got to get yourself to the River Basin. He has them for $180 I believe. However you can make yourself one for much, much less. They're not hard. Just look at the ones there. But if you want convenience, just buy one and be done with it for now. Build one in the off season maybe.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Lunker

USMCDOGG,
I just bought a small boat and included with the purchase was a cheap livewell that should work ok for herring. It is basically a rubbermaid tote with swimming pool "noodles" tied to it to keep it afloat. It also has some holes drilled, to circulate the water. Unfortunately the one time I was on the river, this past weeekend, we didn't get any herring, so I couldn't test it out. I don't think it gets much cheaper than this one....lol. I will take a pic tomorrow and post it here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

I was going to build one this year myself, but did not. I looked at the bilge pumps @ Walmart, not very exspensive. But you would need some hose, battery and a big plastic tank of some kind. I did not get that far.

Good luck !

Quote:
Got to get yourself to the River Basin.
That place is very good ... nice people who will you show you the way and have everything you need.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
First Mate

you should check out basspro.com. I believe they have what you are looking for. you could go cheap or expensive. let us know how you make out.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM
swabbie

Here is what you need:

20-30 gallon plastic drum (go to your local junk / surplus dealer)
small bilge pump, no float switch needed
a garden hose and a short length of flexible plastic hose
some pvc fittings

drill two holes in drum near the top, screw a plastic nipple through the smaller hole (garden hoses are 5/8"). The larger hole should be 1.5", buy pvc fitting that will screw through the hole and attach the flexible hose, this will be the overflow. Attach small pump to a lenght of garden hose attach that to the small nipple in the drum, attach the pump leads to your boat battery, drop the pump over the side if your boat and it will fill the live well with fresh water, when full it will drain out the overflow hose out the back of your boat. When you want to move from spot to spot just drop the pump in the drum and the water will circulate.

total cost well under 50 bucks, mine keeps a dozen or so herring alive all day, totally portable, leave it home when not bait fishing, or use it in a buddies boat.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Lunker

Here are the pics I promised.....not much, but it should do the job. I don't know how well it works, because I have yet to catch any herring...hopefully tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
First Mate

nice pics...That helps...

Pictures to any solution to a common problem solves writing a thousand
words.

Nice.

--cal
Old 05-09-2007, 02:58 AM
Lunker

Finally got a few herring today, the livewell worked great...the only complaint is that whenever you want to move, you have to dump out some water, and lift it back into the boat .....without getting a bath. That is where a nice pump system would be nice, but for the price...it works great as is.