Tide Info ? General Striper ?'s - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Tide Info ? General Striper ?'s

When targeting Stripers what stage of the tide do you find more productive ?

If there is no sign of top water activity is it still worth the effort to plug and work surface lures ? Surface lures like plugs is slow and steady the best way ? I know blue fish will grab a lure at almost any speed but I have heard stripers don't like to work to hard for their food.

I'm also thinking of boating out to Hog & Prudence Island in Narragansett Bay would one side be better than the other ? One side of the Island faces out into the open bay where the other sides are somewhat more protected. what kind of bottom should I be looking for ? I know some say in a boat work the drop offs but looking at the charts tonight I don't see very big drop offs, maybe 5 to 10 feet or so. Is this area a good place a bass might sit to ambush it's next meal?

Guess I'm just day dreaming with the maps to find possibly places to scout and try this year but there is a lot of water out there in this small bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 PM

Incoming is usually better...I'd look for rocks or boulders, throw some surface or sub-surface lures...also, look for #####, pockets, holes or any bottom contour that could have potential hiding spots...
Old 03-16-2005, 09:05 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

In my opinion there are no "best" tides,just best locatons for those pertaining tides.

Some places only afford ambush points at hight tide,mud flats,mussel beds etc. Moving water is the choice of a bass,from the day it is an egg to the day it dies,check out locations where the bottom structure trips up the current,if there is bait present so much the better,bass often move with the tide changing feeding stations on both the incoming and outgoing water.
Other locations may be only good on outgoing water because of the way the structure is located.,a bend in the river,maybe a creek mouth,on the incoming, the incoming water rushes in ,but no real ambush point is to be had,but once the tide turns and begins to ebb the edges of the creek mouth become a ticket to a free meal,another reason outgoing tides may produce early in the year is because of water temp.,in a river the incoming(often cold ocean water) rushes in,but, once the tide starts to ebb the warmer river water begins to flow and often times bass that were cruising the flats with lockjaw put on the feed bag,the oposite may become true when the water gets too warm,fish adapt to their comfort zone,so must we.if we wat to catch them with regularity. Some spots are only good at low water,I have a off shore sand bar that only produces on the minus tides,becuse it has 15' of water on it at high tide it rarely produces at that time,but this little gem is a real jewl when bass are foraging on the beachfront and we have a minus tide,often at slack low water!

you need to compile a list of places where you can fish at any stage of the tide,keep a log of your activity,include tidal stages,moon and wind,we cant always fish under perfect conditions so we have to adapt so we can fish when we have time. Now is the time to start checking out the areas you want to fish,take some notes,when the fish do arrive hit those spots,fish them hard,if you have no luck,dont give up on them try them at a latter date, maybe a different tide or wind direction or even time of year,by the end of the season,if you put in your time,you'll not only have caught some good fish but you will have at least one productive place to fish anytime you want to go fishing.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 02:45 PM

Excellent post again rocc.

From fishing from shore you would find the same thing holds true. Some places produce best on the 2 hours before and after the high tides. When the current starts to really rip presentations change. Thats what I specifically target with my two favorite spots. I've fished their often enough and long enough to know that about these locations. And I have my other spot that I target at dead low to high on the incoming. All locations are vastly different.
The first is a rocky slope into a shipping channell in the harbor and they like to feed on the flats at high tide. Especially when the bait fish are drawn to the bounty from the shore line. Like rock pointed out the muscle and clam beds, sand worms and crabs are always available in the rock piles. Also they provide the ambush points. The other is a back of harbor where the bait fish get trapped in and there are plenty of muscle beds that get covered during the flood tides.

The low tide spot is very deep water near a fast moving current and the low provides us access to the holes.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:03 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default Re: Tide Info ? General Striper ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz N' Eddy
When targeting Stripers what stage of the tide do you find more productive ?

If there is no sign of top water activity is it still worth the effort to plug and work surface lures ? Surface lures like plugs is slow and steady the best way ? I know blue fish will grab a lure at almost any speed but I have heard stripers don't like to work to hard for their food.
I dont think there is an absolute science to tidal movement. I think its preference and how things are going day-to-day. Myself for instance, at the end of June in the marsh, I prefer the OUTGOING tide, because I catch consistant fish, one after the other. Now take the end of July or August, and I may target the INCOMING, at NIGHT, because the days are hotter and more humid, and more fish are coming in at night to cool down. During the Spring Herring at the dam, a dropping tide seems to preferable. That said, I still fish either side of the tide :D It all depends on how things are set up. Learn the structure and you will learn the habits of the bass.

For topwaters, I have caught Stripers when there was no surface activity whatsoever. If they are lying behind rocks that are facing current, I will cast over them and work it by them, sometimes they grab, sometimes they dont. Presentation is always different day-to-day too.....sometimes they are fooled into hitting the continuous chug across the water....sometimes (like in the Fall I have noticed), they like it when it sits for a few seconds before each chug.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:53 AM

Default What tide is best for stripers

I've heard the outgoing tide is best because it pulls all the bait out o fhte rivers, and brings all the warm water too. I've also heard that the incoming is just as good because all the stuff from the ocean is pulled inshore. Are they just as good as each other?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 PM

No answer possible. Every hole, point, rock, reef, bar, jetty etc is different.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 AM

Any tide you can catch them on is the right tide.

Seriously, Plugmeister is right. I have spots that I fish at high tide and different ones at low tide. Keep record of the date, time, and conditions you catch fish and don't catch fish, and play the law of averages.

However, I walked down to the beach on Sunday night with my wife and dog to watch the sunset. It was low tide and I never ever fish at low tide on my beach because it's really shallow. But I wanted to check out the action on a plug Roc made. 5th cast caught a nice fat 25 incher in water that was slightly over knee-deep. Couple casts later caught another one. No birds, no blitzs, no signs at all the fish were there. So you just never know.

Guess the action on Roc's hand-crafted popper was OK.

Just goes to show ya that if you put your time in, they will come, no matter what you think you know.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
First Mate

I've always heard 2 hours on either side of low and high tide........But I really don't know that much. In fact very little