Albany/Troy area - How did you do? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Albany/Troy area - How did you do?

Well I spent the last three Fridays on the river for a total of about 34 hours of fishing and I ended up with two short runs and no fish. The herring were plentiful each trip, and I'd mark bigger fish but no takers. I fished thru all stages of the tide and tried drifting and anchored. Just wasn't in the cards for me this year. Just curious on how others have done in the area and if you think it might be worth giving it another shot seeing how warm the water is now and that they are probably already spawning. I think next year I'll have to bite the bullet (gas prices) and head further south towards Castkill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: Albany/Troy area - How did you do?

I am at 42 for the season.....but i have fished hard since late April. I work for myself so i can get out most mornings. Had one day with 11, the very next day had 9 and other than that it has been 1 or 2 most days.

They are still here...and the eggs are green so don't give up yet! We caught four yesterday and this beauty this morning.

Name:  may27.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  26.1 KB
Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Lunker

Not asking for any secrets,but what "area" of the river are you fishing ???? cause I fished the northern part of Troy on Monday and didn't catch or see anything Blumaxx............Are you a Charter boat ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Member Elite

I don't have one spot...i will move around anywhere from the Dam down to the I-90 bridge and try to fish away from boat traffic once it becomes heavy. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays suck other than first thing in the morning. By the time 7 AM rolls around many times the bite is over.

I get out a ton so i am able to be there more often when they are biting. I think my numbers this year aren't very good....take away the two days with 20 fish and it was a poor year.

Monday was an early bite. We had a fish at 6AM...then 3 between 6:08 and 6:23. That's when the south wind kicked in and it got tough to fish.

No chartering for me......i like to catch em too much!!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Striper Hunter

Wow, good job Ship of Fools, looks like your fishing right where I've been fishing except you've been catching them. I decided to give it one more try tomorrow. I launch from the Rensselaer side. I pick up my herring usually under the power lines. I'll be in a 14 gray alum. smokercraft. If you are out in the morning look for me. I'll be there at sun up.