Fishing Weather and The Barometer - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Fishing Weather and The Barometer

Can any of you tell me if Striper fishing is any good when it is raining or thunder storming? Is it better or worse or does it depend on the barametrick pressure? Or is the BP a reliable source?
I ask this, well, just to know. But also, this weekend is my first Striper trip and it is supposed to rain all weekend. I thought of post poning it but it is supposed to rain the next weekend as well. So we are thinking of going regardless. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Jigologist

been studying BP in relationship to good fishing for years.. what I've found is that stripers really don't care if the barometer is high or low as long as it's stable.. there are always situations that throw a wrench in the spokes.. like bait supply, and moon phases that can make them active at any BP.. but as a rule of thumb you want a stable BP.. if it's ripping up or ripping down the bite can be off--makes the guts hurt until they can adjust their air bladder(read it somewhere)

re:rain, caught 'em in all kinds of weather but pouring rain tends to put them down.. topwater bite is non-exsistant in the rain... probably too much surface disturbance.. an approaching front can turn on the light .. a lot of variables within a general rule of thumb though..

start keeping a log.. your area could be completely different..
Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I distinctly remember two fish ( a double) up on Joppa flats in one of the worse lighning storms I've ever been dumb enough to fish in..... VERY BIG fish in VERYSKINNY water..

Another time two years ago I had a charter in another nasty that was so bad that the antenae on the boat was buzzing... the lads had no rain gear and were soaked to the bone but didnt want to leave , the fishing was so good, I hated to be tha party pooper but I was gettin a little escared with all that lightning.... as the Jig man said .. the weather dont bother them much.... as long as the barometer is steady, but I've found quick moving fronts sometimes send 'em to the feed bag!
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 02:44 PM

I almost did a study on this for school buy couldnt find an adequate tank which I could vary the pressure accurately. I did research though that most species of fish do go into feeding frenzies at low pressures, and I have experienced this in pan fishing (40 perch in a half hour before a storm), but havent heard or experienced any major differences with rockfish. However I did notice that when the weather is great in the begginning of the day, and crappy in the end, theres usually a lack of fish, Im guessing from changing BP like mentioned.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Jigologist

here's one of the graphs I use.. (see attachment)

I would consider the period from midday on the 29th until the last recored period on the 2nd to be very stable... the climb before that would be an off period

have seen times when the fishing was only good for a couple hours in the afternoon, then come back home to check the 5 day chart and see the BP stablize and flat-line right at that period when the fish turned on.. seen it enough to know that it's more then a quinkydink.. now I need a digital barometric forecaster :)
Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM

Jigman
I remember you saying that last year as well. You prefer a steady barometer.
I have hooked into my biggest fish on very low pressure systems more than a few times as well. Like when a storm is brewing and again almost exactly as it clears. I get excited when I see a front moving in. The only bad part is that graphite conducts electricity.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Re: What can a striper see?

Jig
I was thinking about your barometric pressure theories on stable barometers and high pressure days are your best. I wonder if thats because you do mostly jigging. In other words with that type of barometer the fish hunker down for cover and this is where jigging could excel.

On the other hand I like a falling barometer and an approaching storm or almost instantaneously when it clears.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 PM
LunkHead

Default Re: Fishing Weather and The Barometer

I haven't taken the time to record it,so this is only my opinion, but I agree with Jim that a sudden drop to low just ahead of a storm can urge the fish to feed.....if there are fish there. It is one of my favorite times to fish, if I can manage it. And yes, graphite does conduct electricity, and this fact has caused me to lower the rod once or twice, to keep it from being the highest point around.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 11-13-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Fishing Weather and The Barometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
I haven't taken the time to record it,so this is only my opinion, but I agree with Jim that a sudden drop to low just ahead of a storm can urge the fish to feed.....if there are fish there. It is one of my favorite times to fish, if I can manage it.
I agree, especially if that dropping barometer coincides with a day or two after the full or new moon, a light east wind that follows a few days of southernlies, and a dawn high tide