Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Live Bunker

Tags
bunker live
4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Does any one know where I could get live bunker in the NYC aera?

#3 ·
Snagging and netting is the only way.
They are too large for anyone to keep em alive long.
They often concentrate near the inlets at great kills and lemon creek areas on staten Isl.
Keep a lookout for the signs.
They can be snagged from the shore at great Kills often. (Daily)

#4 ·
snag em.

as stated above, look for ripples or tiny splashes on the surface.

you have to be pretty good with a throw net to do it that way, practice makes perfect.

if you are going to snag, make sure you have steel leader on your snag rig...the blues may hit it on the way in.

#5 ·
Sheepshead Bay is loaded with them. Just watch for splashes, then toss a weigted treble hook and snag away. Let the the hook drop after the snag, or brign the bunker in and hook him the way you'd like. I've had them stay alive for 6 hours plus on a hook through the spine. I'm a flurocarbon guy but using a steel leader is a good idea.

#8 ·
Next time your in the tackle shop ask them for a weighted treble.
Keep a few in your tackle box. Keep an old rod and reel for snagging duty.
Youll have a fight if you snag one and a blue fish eats it on the way in.
Snagging them sideways creates a lot of drag. It can be fun. When you see a bunch of surface pops toss the treble into the middle and jerk the rod through them then reel. Rinse and Repeat. You might snag a dozen or so before your totally exhausted. thumbsup.gif

#11 ·
make a bunch as they get shoddy after all the bluefish get to em. get a few 2ft sections of steel leader(not coated stuff) 80-100lb. . buy 3oz barrell (egg) weights,trebble hooks,leader sleeves, barrell swivels and beads. put a barrell swivel on one end of leader and crimp it with a leader sleeve in place. put a barrell weight on and then a bead. put a trebble hook on end of leader and crimp it with a leader sleeve. you are now able to snag a bunker. leave it out there once snagged to get inhaled by a cow. my technique was when i snagged the bunker i'd open my bail and hold him with my fingers and when the fish woofs him down i count to 7 or 8 as he's peeling line out and then close the bail and cross his (or her) eyes< knock em dead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.