Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

My First Striper of the Season

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  shovel74 
#1 ·
Got a 16 pounder near New Baltimore on live herring, 7/0 Circle hook. It was a lot of fun bringing this little guy in.

See less See more
#6 ·
Good Job, I'am giving the Hudson my first attempt this Saturday hopefully. Weather permitting! They are calling for rain but I just don't know how hard. Not trying to still your post but how do overcast raining days affect the stripers? Wife is going out of town to a wedding shower so I think regardless of the weather I better take the chance when I can. Once again congrats on a nice fish. Tight Lines!!!!

#8 ·
Well, thanks for the kind words folks. I got striper #2 last night. It was about the same size, maybe a pound or 2 bigger. And yes, Buster....I am hooked!

As for fishing in the rain, go for it. It's a little tough to see the herring if you're using a stooley, but if they're there, you can blind net them pretty easily. If it's the only free day you have, take advantage of it and enjoy the weather if you can...because remember...it's the only weather you've got.

#9 ·
my son and I are heading today for our first official striper trip. We're loaded with bait, bloods, eels, herring. Our plan is to try drifting first south of the Esupous light house.. After that we may set up at the Kingston Rhinecliff bridge. Damn the weather has been perfect. We'll be out all day Sat, the rain dont bother us. Our boat has a full cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.