Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

do anyone know how to live line bunker. an wuts the best time a place to use them for stripers.

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  andy2989 
#1 ·
want to know how to live line bunker for stripers. i know how to catch an live line them for blue fish, but i heard that in my area guys are live lining bunker an catching big stripers. my research an past experiences with bunk is that they come in the shallows at night. caught a few with a cast next throwing blind off the dock. but i wonder is the stripers follow the bunker in the shallows at night?. when fishing for blue fish i normally snack bunkers an live line them hooking them nearest to the tail because the blue's always hit the tail first. but stripers eat form the head first i read sumwhere. but where do i put the hooks an how much hooks on the fish. am thinking one on the back an one on the tail. mabe put a rubber band on the the tail with the 2nd hook. not quite sure. would like sum help plz. thanks

#2 ·
You don't need tandem hooks on stripers. One good hook will suffice. I place it in front of the dorsal fin. There's a chunk of meat between the dorsal fin and the skull, that's where you wanna go. The striper will always turn the bait and swallow it head first so there's no need for a hook on the tail. Manhassett Bay and Little Neck Bay are both productive at night just keep in mind that at night it's quiet and sound travels longer and faster, fish in shallow water spook easily so try and be stealthy.

#3 ·
thanks man! i will definitely do wut u said. i fish in great neck. well little neck bay u can really say. there are sum huge fish out here. been testing alot of bait to see wut the fish go for. been mostly using bunker whick i ah successful on. but i been trying eels. but the ****ers are hard to rig. do you know how to rig eels?.

#6 ·
am sticking to bunker cuz it been working great. wanna try live line sum as soon as i can catch sum bunkers. i live in great neck near Kings Point Marine Acadamy. so am going to try ells an see if i get sum results. thanks for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.