Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Boston Inner Harbor

Tags
boston harbor
4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jon006 
#1 ·
Hi guys. New to the forum and loving it.

Fished the inner harbor 2x this week from shore. No luck with any catches but the schoolies are all over the place. They were taunting me and my buddy all night. I was using mainly artificials (plugs/sluggos/spoons) but can almost guarantee I would have caught a couple with worms or clams. I picked up some mackeral today but weather is not cooperating so tomorrow night is probably going to be good (Go Celtics!!!!)

As usual, it's quiet until its dark then you hear and see them slapping all over the place.

Looking forward to a great season. I'll make sure I post results (and hopefully some mean pictures of keepers.)

Good luck!

#7 ·
I went out in Boston Harbor this moring. It was innundated with cod - we caught at lest 25 in three hours jigging off the bottom (they wouldn't hit clams). Unfortunately, all of them were shorts and most were very small. There were a few stirpers in the mix too - the largest was about 24". In total we caugh four species of fish, incliding sea robins and a lobster. Nothing for dinner though :( I plan on going out again next weekend. It was great to be out on the water again!

#8 ·
Awesome to hear. Heading out to catch the high tide very soon. Broke down and bought my second surf rod today. I figure if I'm fishing bait, my chances improve 100%.

Unfortunately finances kept me from buying a nice new Penn. Got a cheapie from Sports Authority. If I catch two fish on it, I figure it's paid for itself.

Thanks for the update.

#10 ·
With jigs. I fished the clams on a high low rig just off bottom on a drift for about an hour and not even a bite! My friends were fishing jigs and nailing small cod and the occasional striper so eventually I smartened up and changed over. I was hoping I could entice something bigger on the clams. Usually I fish on a party boat for cod and clams always work well. I think these fish were chasing herring and couldn't be bothered with a previously frozen clam. I know clams work great off of Natasket surf casting.

#11 ·
Yea I used to love using clams for everything......stripers/cod/almost anything will eat clams. I eventually smartened up and realized that there ARE better striper baits out there such as eels( thanks Roccus). Clams ARE great off of Nantasket....although I now love eels, I haven't caught a striper with eels off of nantasket.....but I remember one night when I caught around 10 schoolies with clams....no keepers but that was a fun night. good times.

#13 ·
Probably has something to do with the fact that fish in Boston harbor are messed up from water pollution.....

Right now I'm actually stationed in San Diego California. I'm in the middle of planning a trip back home though sometime during the summer. When I come home my friends and family will be very disappointed because I will be doing nothing but fishing and sleeping. I still like to hear what's going on though in and around the harbor......just so I don't miss out on anything big.

#14 ·
I disagree with the water pollution comment, Boston Harbor is one of the cleanest in the country. Not that it matters much with the migratory nature of the striper they don't really stay long enough to be polluted badly. Although I did note that they smelled worse later in the season then when they first moved in.

My suggestion to fishing the inner harbor is find the herring, the bass will be there but they will be tough to catch...there are alot more herring around this year compaired to last.

#16 ·
Yeah from what I learned years back it was only bluefishing in the harbor, the stripers wouldn't go towards the dams at all. Deer island is the major reason why the harbor is as clean as it is now!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.