Tracking the bass up the coast 2011 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 AM
First Mate

Default Tracking the bass up the coast 2011

I was wondering if there was a post or something that the striper fisherman up and down the coast can post where the fish are on their journey. I'm suffering from the worst case of cabin fever right now and I need bass! I live in staten island and I know they are a few more weeks out but if we could post what vicinity they are in every once in a while I think it would be a great thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Tracking the bass

Good Idea,

You boys down south keep us in the loop here, been a cold, hard winter !
Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Official Member

X2.. same for you NY folks... up here in New England we have to wait even longer... a heads up would be great
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Track the water temps. They'll start biting about 45 degrees.
Full swing 54 to 64. Look for the bait.

So far, there has been a lone striper caught up at the Forked River power station that was checked in at Absecon Sportsman Center.
Water is still too cold, fish are lethargic at the lower temps. None at the traditional first fish locals in Jersey.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/index.html
Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM
First Mate

I will post the first sign of bass here also this way you guys up north have an idea when they are on the way! Good luck this season guys!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Chris
You will find them showing first near the south shore on the island around the river mouths. Those mud flats near the creek warm up first.
Paulie usually has a good fix on when they show. Hes out after St. Patty's day.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

there are no fish on staten island.... EVER!!!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
First Mate

There are plenty of fish on the island..... You just have to learn how to catch them Paulie... :)
Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i can only hope one day to be able to catch fish on staten island... thanks for your words of encouragement...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
First Mate

Yea the fishing out here really sucks. I've been checking out NJ a lot actually, manasquan inlet and island beach state park looked nice. Better than sitting on sharrots pier. I did see a few places out here while walking the beach that looked nice but looks and actuality are two different things.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Question Re: Tracking the bass

past few seasons can be attributed to alot. one of my pet peeves about fishing regulation is that early spring girls show up 5-10 miles out and usually are on some kind of bait before heading up the hudson. they don't stay there long but,, the short time they are there they are targeted by headboats/comm's/and a crapload of rec. fishermen. all of which are limiting out!.. by the time april 30th comes,,, there have been a substantial amount of fish culled from the waters.... now if anyone has a clue as to WHERE i am talking about knows that this is illegal. and who the hell is enforcing the law? not one soul imo.. so, when asked "hey zim? when is a good time to fish?" if your not in tune with the wherabouts and the weather pattern likelihood of this species your days turn to weeks without finding fish. i wrote numerous posts about spring migrations and what to expect but i can't believe the blatant disregard for the law and the lengths people will go to just to catch this magnificent beast... it's just a matter of time before we see a repeat of the seventies... the cards are stacked against these creatures. bluefish for christ sake are now in jeopardy if you can you believe that. so tracking the migration of these fish have a detrimental effect if you ask me. it's only the past few years that the eez has been a candy store for every tom dick and harry out there. strength in numbers and the odds of getting caught are slim as it doesn't take that long to limit out so the only ones leary are the party boats as they have to stay in the eez a little longer to make everyone happy. it's a shame but i saw it with my own eyes. and that's not including what i couldn't see with my binoculars another few miles out. you;d be amazed at the amount of scumbags out there.... well, enough ranting.. there are fluke and herring being caught now. so soon enough there will be some resident fish parading around. couple of weeks before any bunker are (visible at least) but can only hope the bunker situation is as strong as last season. that made for some good fishing when i was able to get out. see you guys next month

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Track the water temps. They'll start biting about 45 degrees.
Full swing 54 to 64. Look for the bait.

So far, there has been a lone striper caught up at the Forked River power station that was checked in at Absecon Sportsman Center.
Water is still too cold, fish are lethargic at the lower temps. None at the traditional first fish locals in Jersey.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/index.html
Thanks Jim
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info! So I'm guessing their still in NC around the outer banks? I can't wait till they move my cabin fever is starting to get the best of me.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Report Meister

Default Following the fish NJ 2011

Online tackle shop real time reports.

First fish weighed in at Capt Daves shop
March 2, 2011 = Nick Nastasi brought an 18.2 pound whopper into the store about 10:30 (3/1/2011) that he caught in the Waretown area before dawn. 2 more keepers on the second and 3rd where brought in. The second on a black sluggo.
The reports from the rivers is that there are already a good number of willing shorts so it is only a mater of time before some of the bigger fish get hungry.
Absecon Bay sports center
VERY SHALLOW AND WAY IN THE BACK
Absecon reports
Riptide In Brigateen reports
Betty and Nicks Barneget Inlet
Grumpys Seaside Park New Jersey
Scotts Bait and Tackle reports Mystic Island
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
First Mate

Just seen they got a few in island beach state park... Could they be on their way up now???