Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Party Boat Woman's Rig for Large Striped Bass

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ez2cdave 
#1 ·
My sister, who live in New York, would like to purchase an outfit that would be good for large striped bass (20 to 40 lb). She has been out on trips where the large stripers are being caught and was concerned about being able to handle the fish. She is 5’3” tall. 125 pounds and works out with a trainer, so she is stronger than the average woman this size. Can you suggest models for the rod and reel? What pound test would you recommend?

#2 ·
My sister, who live in New York, would like to purchase an outfit that would be good for large striped bass (20 to 40 lb). She has been out on trips where the large stripers are being caught and was concerned about being able to handle the fish. She is 5'3" tall. 125 pounds and works out with a trainer, so she is stronger than the average woman this size. Can you suggest models for the rod and reel? What pound test would you recommend?
I don't think that her strength is a factor here.

However, since she is 5',3", I think the "fit" of the rod is the most important thing. Leverage and her comfort is very important !

I would ask around and find a custom rod builder ( "shop around" for the best price ), in the area, that would be willing to determine the best butt length, reel seat position, and "reach" to the foregrip.

Once you know her "measurement" for a rod, you can see if anything "off the shelf" will work. If not, you have the option of modifying an existing rod or building a custom rod. PLUS, she would be able to "pick her colors" !

Tight Lines !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.