Looking at getting a yak!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Official Member

Default Looking at getting a yak!!

Just wondering which brands i should look at?? Been looking at bass pro and they have old town and ocean yaks!! which would be better?? i only fish in fresh water.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Lunker

Default Re: Looking at getting a yak!!

Their is more and more choices for fishing kayaks coming to market don't be limited to a specific brand be sure to check out Kayak Fishing Stuff they will be sure to suggest the best one for your needs not theirs. They are in North Jersey, it would be great if you could get their but even if its to far give them a call and ask ?'s.
IMHO the best way to go would be a hobie mirage drive kayak, but they are a bit more pricy, they have a pedal drive allowing you to hold a rod & fish so you can manuver or stay put in a current or windy conditions.
Not to take away from this board but be sure to also take a look at their forum and ask questions the only stupid ones are the unasked ones.

Last edited by Pat Battle-ship; 12-11-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 PM

I owned an Ocean Kayak Prowler 15, and it was a great yak, sit on top, rod holders, I mounted sonar, had a ball in it.
If you're yakking more rivers/white water, I'd get a shorter more manueverable yak, possibly sit inside.
Whatever you chose, dress for the WATER temperature, WEAR your pfd, and let people know where you'll be and when if yakking alone.
LMJeff
Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 AM

Need much more info then only fishing freshwater. How about, where, time of year, price point, species, other uses.....

Its really difficult because there are so many styles and brands out there. One thing I would say though, don't buy one from BassPro unless you can go to the store. I would not buy one that I didn't paddle first. You will never know if it fits you until you get in and give it a go.
I bought an Old Town two falls ago. I really like it and find it is a great tool for fishing, and probably the third most important tool I have for duck hunting next to my gun and dog.
I bought at Sit-in model vs a SOT because I use it year round. With a SOT, you WILL get wet. You basically sit in a puddle all the time.
Don't waste your money buying a "Fishermans" version over a regular version, with a fishermans model, all they do is add a rod holder, somtimes two and charge you an extra $80 for it. You can buy a Scotty rod holder for 20 or 30 and install it yourself in about 3 minutes. Get the longest one you can carry by yourself. You will want the extra space later.
If you have never been in one or fished from one, a class is a good idea, and don't take your fishing stuff out on it the first few times you go out. Make sure you are comfortable in it before you try fishing from it.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

There's really a bit more to it than that.
Some are more for speed others for stability, storage, etc.
May I suggest a look into on;
http://newenglandkayakfishing.com/forums.html
There's a lot of helpful info and ideas relavent to New Englang style fishing both fresh and salt water. There is no reason one can't be happy with a model that does both.
I've an Old Town Loon 11 ft. Sit-in that works for fresh and salt, fishing and hunting. Only drawback that really bothered me was bringing a 245# doe upstream. Had to make 2 trips at the end of the hunt (ugh!).
It's a compromise, not really great for anything, but does it all acceptably (most of the time).
Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 AM

A 245# DOE????? I'd like to see a pic of that!!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:44 PM

yea id pay to see that picture too..
Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 PM

I personaly just bought a wilderness system tarpon 140 angler with rudder! I cant wait to get it out on the water. my buddy has one and its great. they are so much fun! this model runs about $1200 or so, but well worth the investment if you ask me. its a sit on top with lots of storage and rod holders, fishfinder mounts milk crate storage and more!

~Stefan~
Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 PM

Thumbs up Re: Looking at getting a yak!!

I own an Ocean Kayak Drifter angler edition. and love it!!! i put on a rudder kit, center hatch and im looking into a fish/depth finder. i can fit all my gear on it and not worry about tipping over. ive actually stood on it in fresh water and wasn't too worried. i also use it for spearfishing and can fit all my gear on it as well. ive pushed it to the limits to see how well i can hold up with sloppy conditions. i can actually sit on the side of the kayak and not go in, and i weigh 240lbs. very durable can take a banging against rocks and such. ive actually dumped it out of the back of my dads truck on the road doing about 30mph on accident of course and the only thing that broke was the drain plug, that only costs $4 to replace. I highly recommend Ocean Kayak great prices and a greater kayak. check out their website they are coming out with the prowler big game. which has an amazing assortment of toys!