How is kayak fishing....and striper fishing from a kayak? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM

Default How is kayak fishing....and striper fishing from a kayak?

i currently own a 17 foot bayliner capri and fish from it and do alot of dock/pier fishing as well i also am consideeing a kayak purchase for next year i see more and more people go out in them set up for fishing. i love stripers and have caught about 30 of them since septtember but no keeper size, can anyone tell me any input on fishign from a kayak. thanks i would love tyo get soem feedback . it sure looks like fun and no gas is a plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 11:29 PM

welcome to the board!! Check out some of the Riddlers threads, you'll find some nice pictures of some healty Stripers :D
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: how is kayak fishng....and striper fishing from a kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterkayak View Post
i currently own a 17 foot bayliner capri and fish from it and do alot of dock/pier fishing as well i also am consideeing a kayak purchase for next year i see more and more people go out in them set up for fishing. i love stripers and have caught about 30 of them since septtember but no keeper size, can anyone tell me any input on fishign from a kayak. thanks i would love tyo get soem feedback . it sure looks like fun and no gas is a plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Fishing from a kayak is as fun as it looks. Takes a bit getting used to because of the sitting angle, but it gets easy after a few hours. What I like about it is the direct connection you have with the water and the fish vs. being in a larger boat. A tip is to get yourself a fly rod holder. Bluewater makes a good one ($25.00) for a fly rod and it's easy to mount. For about $8.00 you can also buy a straight tube holder for your spinning rod. The absolute best investments you can make are a good life vest and a whistle...just in case!

Tight Lines
Old 04-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Lunker

You make $25.00 rod holder's blue?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erizerme View Post
You make $25.00 rod holder's blue?
I think they're black plastic.
LMJ
Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM

Kayak fishing is what got me "hooked" on fishing. I bought it for exercise and figured I would troll some. The guys at Gander mt hooked me up and the first time out I got 10 bass. I caught 27 bass in 3 trips. That was after thanksgiving last year. Now I am a fishing addict. I am getting more and more used to it and learning from my mistakes. One day I caught 14, but I was out for long time. I am way up by the cove lake dam on norris.
I got towed by a drum, that was fun.
Mike
Old 06-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

"I got towed by a drum, that was fun.
Mike"

Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Yep! and as someone previously said...Iffen you catch anything of any size...Ya get a free ride donachknow *S*
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 AM

It's like cheating when it comes to stripers. I've caught more in 2 weeks than I've caught in 2 years. I've looked down and seen them under me, I've had one hit my tube and worm while I was holding the tube in my hand after putting a worm on.. i handfed it. It was awesome. Doesnt spook them at all..
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM

i like it better than sitting stationary because you can change locations easily, i dont have to worry about getting stuck on seaweed when fishing off the rocks, it's nice to bob around with the waves, and you can get closer to areas that boats cant get to sometimes. it's also good exercise
Old 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm

Default Re: How is kayak fishing....and striper fishing from a kayak?

It is good exercise and a lot of fun. I'd say it's a great way to change your typical fishing strategies up. Kayak will give you the flexibility to troll or use as a fishing platform to get to some structure and depths you cant reach from shore. Adds a new tool to your fishing toolbox.

best to take an intro class (even just kayaking) and rent a yak before you run out and buy. also need to be at least somewhat fit. lifting the kayak on and off your vechile and dragging to the launch site can be strenuous. also if you find yourself in a strong wind or strong current it'll also increase your heart rate. please keep that in mind.

cheers
~stew
Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike37909 View Post
Kayak fishing is what got me "hooked" on fishing. I bought it for exercise and figured I would troll some. The guys at Gander mt hooked me up and the first time out I got 10 bass. I caught 27 bass in 3 trips. That was after thanksgiving last year. Now I am a fishing addict. I am getting more and more used to it and learning from my mistakes. One day I caught 14, but I was out for long time. I am way up by the cove lake dam on norris.
I got towed by a drum, that was fun.
Mike
I am getting ready to start this on the Caney Fork for Trout. But I know as soon as I get used to the Kayak I will go for some of the big Striper's that come up into that cold river in August and September. TWRA tells me the Striper's love to eat trout and that is why they are so big in that river. I was just wondering how it is trying to get a 20 plus pound Striper into your sit in Kayak....or I guess it is best to just tow it back to your vehicle.

Regards
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 AM
First Mate

Kayak fishing is awesome.
I do alot of it even though i only catch fluke, small weakfish about 17 inches, snappers, and 2 pound blues, but it is a ton of fun. Im going to try the ocean this year for bass and big blues. I have seen bass been caught in the bay by me but i didnt have the right bay for them when i saw them being caught.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Official Member

Tried trolling for stripers this weekend at the north end of lake martin around creekmouth on my 8 ft yak board with 6 inch live crappie,could'nt get gizzard shad yet and I did not get a bite. !!!WOULD LITE PADDLING SPOOK THE STRIPES OR NOT!!!