Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What size circle hook?

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gunner1 
#1 ·
Want to try this spring the new trokar circle hooks this year , but the expence is limiting me to one size. in your opinon what size is the all around size for fishing live herring? fishing just off bottom from a boat thx. bryan

#3 ·
I use 8/0 circles. I looked up those Trokar hooks - seriously expensive!!! They also look a little heavy-duty for bass (wire gage). I use Gamakatsu Octopus circles. I picked up a couple of 25 packs last year at a local fishing show...think I paid $10 per pack. Never had an issue with them, and plenty sharp - and I have the holes in my fingers to prove it (LOL).

#4 ·
I agree with cardboard box. I've been using 8/0 Gamakatsu INLINE circle hooks for years now and have ZERO complaints. I guess it really depends on how you hook the herring. If you go through the back like I do, then I'd go with the 8/0. If you hook through the nostrils or inside the mouth and out the soft spot between the eyes, then I'd say a 5/0-6/0 would suffice. It's your money so spend it how you want, but Gamakatsu hooks are great hooks at a great price. If you want to stick with an American made circle hook, then get yourself some Eagle Claws. I used them for years before switching to the Gamakatsus and again NEVER had a problem with them.

#5 ·
Another important consideration is the gap dimension of the hook. In order for a circle hook to work, it has to rotate in the fish’s mouth as it swims away from you. It then must slide over the fish’s jaw to set in the corner of the mouth. If you’re targeting bass in the 30+ pound range, they have thick jaws. The hook gap must be large enough to easily fit over the jaw. Now, considering the fact that you have a baitfish on the hook, that reduces your chances for a clean hookup even further. The Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook (NSB 2084), 6/0 size has a gap of only 5/8". The 8/0 size has a gap of 13/16". That’s a considerable difference. I use the hooks with the offset points, because the offset offers even a little more forgiveness on the gap size, and will make it easier to slide over the fish’s jaw. I also like the turned up eye, because I find that easier to snell.

I’ve used several different brands and styles of hooks over the years (including other brand and size circles), but once I started using the Gami’s, my hookup percentage increased dramatically, I rarely lose a fish once hooked, and I have never gut hooked a bass with them. Hey, I’m not that good - I need all the help I can get...

#6 ·
Another important consideration is the gap dimension of the hook. In order for a circle hook to work, it has to rotate in the fish's mouth as it swims away from you. It then must slide over the fish's jaw to set in the corner of the mouth. If you're targeting bass in the 30+ pound range, they have thick jaws. The hook gap must be large enough to easily fit over the jaw. Now, considering the fact that you have a baitfish on the hook, that reduces your chances for a clean hookup even further. The Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook (NSB 2084), 6/0 size has a gap of only 5/8". The 8/0 size has a gap of 13/16". That's a considerable difference. I use the hooks with the offset points, because the offset offers even a little more forgiveness on the gap size, and will make it easier to slide over the fish's jaw. I also like the turned up eye, because I find that easier to snell.

I've used several different brands and styles of hooks over the years (including other brand and size circles), but once I started using the Gami's, my hookup percentage increased dramatically, I rarely lose a fish once hooked, and I have never gut hooked a bass with them. Hey, I'm not that good - I need all the help I can get...
That's very true. That's why hooking through the nostrils is nice because the whole hook is essentially exposed. I also agree with you on the gut hooking aspect. I've caught a bunch of stripers on the Gamakatsu's and I've only gut hooked one fish. She just ungulfed the whole thing. The hook actually went through both sides of her gullet and I didn't think she'd live so I kept her. when I gutted her, she had three partially digested herring already in her stomach!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.