Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Question about bloods vs chunk and drifting vs anchoring in the newburgh area?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  matt2321 
#1 ·
Any help would be greatly appreciated. My buddy and I have been drifting bloods in the newburgh area north and south of the beacon bridge for about three years. It has been very fun in mid may getting anywhere from 30-50 fish in the boat. None of which have been over the 25# mark. I read and see alot of guys talking about chunk herring. I have asked about this and I get mixed answers. Some say you have to anchor and some say drift the chunk just like the bloods, but just off the bottom? which is the best for the newburgh area. Also is it better to be shallow or deep for chunkin. The reason Iam asking is we are now looking for the 30+#er.

thank you in advance for your help.

#2 ·
I haven't fished Newburgh much but last year we fished both sandworms and chunk herring..........got absolutely nothing on the Herring and numerous 15-20 lbers on the sandworms. It was amazing....nothing went near the herring. We tried fishing the bottom and about 15-18 ft down where we had our luck. I'm from Albany and the herring work awsome up here......sands and bloods don't get anything but perch, eels and cats. I guess the Newburgh Striper don't like the Herring.......haven't figured it out yet.

#6 ·
We fish the NB area every spring and tried everything. Never get anything on Herring but I am sure they would work if you fish them correctly and put in the time which we don't. Worms drifted at different depths depending on the screen will put you on plenty of fish you just need to pick through the little ones. The larger fish will come your way, we get a lot of 15 - 30 lbers every year with our largest being 44.5 lbs. Oh and eels work but they are a pain in the ass. There are a few other things that we do to put the numbers and sizes in our favor but I can't tell you and everyone else everything. But you are on the right track just keep at it the big ones will happen. I just wish it would start already I am tried of waiting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.