tackle evaluation - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 PM

Default tackle evaluation

seems like i spend a small percentage of my check each week on the next lure, color, etc...that i must have for my collection. sometimes i feel like i'm my own tackle evaluation team....from poppers to pencils to needlefish, metal lips, spooks...even storm wildeyes 6"....i have caught fish on everything so far this season.
i guess what i'm bitchin about is that the selection and prices of designer plugs and lures on the market for surfcasters today is out of control....for example i spent 40 bucks on a beautiful football jack bass thumb plug, first of all, i had to put vmc hooks on myself ....and not a bump...meanwhile i spend 20 bucks on a tattoo tackle everlasting eel or sea dog, equipped with vmc hooks out of the package, and non stop action...
dont get me wrong, i wouldn't bitch about the price if it produced.i spent 60 bucks on ebay for a herring pattern beachmaster cowboy because i couldn't get my hands on one any other way...and this plug is absolutely beautiful and deadly....its my "if nothin else is workin, or the fish aint biting plug"....i have even rigged it with an eel skin a few times...and i couldn't keep the fish off of it.
when is enough, enough....lol
i guess when my wife leaves me because i spend more money on fish then her............lol
how do you know if you're spending too much money on a piece of wood?
can you take someone elses opinion on a plug...what might work for you might suck for someone else.
or are you stuck just trying everything out for yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 06:11 PM

Default Re: tackle evaluation

Quote:
can you take someone elses opinion on a plug...what might work for you might suck for someone else or are you stuck just trying everything out for yourself?
Yes you can you take someone elses opinion on a plug but the important thing is to learn one plug at a time on your own. Know what each one does - how it swims under what conditions and when to use it. A surfster for example excells in moderate surf like you see along the New Jersey coastline while a darter is at home in fast outgoing water.
You want plugs that will fish all parts of the water column.
Sometimes the fish are just looking down and at others only bait will work.
Present your plug in the strike zone. Color doesnt matter as much as action but it too can be important. Remember most baitfish have white bellies. Look at the bottom of where you are fishing and try to see what type of hue the bottom imparts on the baitfish present. Sometimes this can make a pink or silver baitfish look chartruese or yellow like the grass floor in Montauk.
It takes time to put it all together. Years of casting and experimenting modifying.
If there is a club in your area join it.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:08 PM

thanx bro....i just joined the gateway striper club....i'm workin on it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

wow, somebody listens around here. how existential>