You heard it here first... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
First Mate

Default You heard it here first...

I suck

I went out yesterday during high tide and used live eels, fake eels, chunks, storm shads, and even some of Jimi's homemade specials( which are very nice by the way ) and everything gave me the same result which was the same as me not having a pole in the water at all.
I tried deep water, I tried casting towards the rocks, reeling fast, slow and everything in between. I want to say that in theory, I think I'm doing it right, but then again in theory communism works. I think I'm probably doing it right just at the wrong times. I still have yet to try going out at daybreak. Maybe that's the answer. I know that I've asked this question several times, but what the hell, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: You heard it here first...

It's not just you, at the moment fishing flat out sucks in the NY metro area.

The NJ clubs had the first tournament of the fall this weekend.
10 fish over 30" was the total between the first place team and the second place team. That's from Friday at 5 P:M to Sunday at noon. The two clubs probably put 50 guys total on the sand and backwaters.

I threw live eels on a dropping tide, with a good wind, in a no miss spot, predawn on both Friday and Sat night- not a bump - I feel the exact way you do.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
First Mate

It's depressing. It's been the same story for me all year. From June all I've been hearing is " wait till september and october " Well September came and went, here we are knocking on novembers door and still nothing! And now the story is next week, next week. next week I'll be DEAD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 PM

Wow cheech you really do have it bad!!! I think right now your main enemy is the water temps. I was reading 68 degrees in some spots on Monday. Hopefully this front that we are experiencing right now helps kick things into gear. The leaves on the trees are still green for god sake!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 AM
First Mate

You know, the guy from my marina calls me yesterday wanting to know when I want the boat out. I told him " not till I catch a nice striper" He says " Yeah, you and everybody else, so when do you want it out". I asked him to give me at least another 2-3 weeks. So now the clock is really ticking. I'm contimplating playing hookie and braving the rain and chop today and heading out there.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Lunker

Default try the sand worms?

My friend runs a striper party boat in Bklyn called Marilyn Jean. things have been a bit slow because of the water temps. The only thing I can suggest, they use extra large sandworms, drifting the bottom. make sure you are on the bottom, we have been using 10 to 12 oz weight, to keep the bait on the floor. Another thing i see is, certain Captains who run the boat get ontop of more fish than others, they must have their secret honey holes. Where is your boat out of?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM

If you have a boat in the bay it's time to look for weakfish - it's been happening for the past 5 days (that I know of)
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 AM
First Mate

I keep my boat at Marine basin marina in brooklyn, right next to nelly bly, ceasars bay.
What do you use for weak fish? Worms?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Lunker

you could use worms I heard they been hittin the clams real good
Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 PM

A freind pounded them on the NY side along the channel edges a few days ago. He fished peanuts, clam strips, jigs and worms - they wanted the worms
Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM
First Mate

As soon as the water calms down a bit, I'll get out there and try using worms. Thats the only I haven't tried yet. Other than that I guess I really have to venture out more. I generally fish in one area. But in my defense I'm not the only boat out there! I'm really hoping that its not me and the fish just aren't here yet
Old 10-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Weakies should be just about gone right now but the bite was just getting going

Weird year, everything's been a few weeks late since April
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 PM

Saw a good amount of bass at the marina today. Hopefully we're getting under way. I'm going out armed to the teeth this weekend.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
First Mate

I think I gonna have to blow off a party this weekend and get as much time on the water as possible.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Cheech,
there are schoolies in Jamaica bay, as well as few bigger fish. Try the marshes for schoolies, and the deep holes for the bigger fish. Also check all the creek mouths on the out going tide.