Plum Island gives up another..... - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Plum Island gives up another.....

Holy cow - those are incredible!!
Do you mind if I ask what kind of rod and reel were you using?
I don't think I could pull them in with mine, even if I was able to hook into something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Wow. Those are just amazing looking fishes. I wasn't going to go tonight but.....staring at those pics made me change my mind....

Grats Roc.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Lunker

WOW,good karma for sharing your knowledge no doubt,many more to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Surf's Up

very nice fish roccus ur a good fishermen and i say a good fishermen noes his limits well u took a good change i wish i could get something that big lol great job roccus
Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadagolf View Post
Holy cow - those are incredible!!
Do you mind if I ask what kind of rod and reel were you using?
I don't think I could pull them in with mine, even if I was able to hook into something like that.

7 of the nine fish I landed that night were caught on my usual outfit, it's a 6'6" lamiglass blank, the old honey colored ones, I wrapped it over 20 years ago, I'm not into the # like some guy's I'm sure Sudsy or Gunny know the # by heart, the reel is a Cabo PT40, this is my second season with it, the dragis the best factory drag I have ever seen, I spool the reel with 220 yds of Ande tournoment 15lb test, the leader again is the standard (for me) 25lb Ande mono....

Fish are like prize fighters, light weights are spunky and use alot of energy but lacking real size rarely put up a long fight, the KO is ineveitable.

Medium to light heavy put on a good show, they have lots of stamina and a decent amount of power, thye will give you your moneis worth every time..

Heavy weights, these are the big hitters, they hit hard and slug it out for a long time... but every once inb a while you get a slug...

Big bass rarely make real long runs,they are smarter than that,often times they dont even run at first, after you set the hook, they usually shake their head and attemt to go back to business, then panic sets in, the first powerfull run will let you know,slow and steady, but rarely longer than 30 yds, then they usually roll, attempting to wrap themselve in whatever is stinging their mouth and slowing their movements, then they circle and rest, they will use whatever tidal flow (often times the wash in the surf) to rid themselves of the burden, they may folow with a series of violent headshakes and rolls, all things that conseve energy for extending the battle, the biggest difference between a real large fish and a fish between 28-40 lbs is the ability to sustain the fight and make each run as long as the last until they finally tire.... fish in the 28-40lb range will often SCREAM off 30-50 yds, these strong healthy fish tend to be the most fit and fastest fighting fish...these fish will always give you a good show... the heavy weight will always be looking to knock you out!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Very nice…chased off your flats by clowns and you still come up big. You make us proud!

Note to new guys: just because roc can bring in a 50 on 15lb test doesn’t mean you can. Most of the big bass (med/lg in roc’s world) I’ve caught have required patience and a cool head. I’ve lost more than I care to admit with 25 xl and a 40lb leader.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Spike10 makes a very, very good point, chasing outsized bass with light tackle is not recomended for the average or beginner fisherman, 20 lb is about as light as you should go, your tackle must be in top condition, the line carefully inspected after each fish, then cut back and tied if the slightest abrasion is found, the drags need to operate flawlessly and be set to 1/4 of the lines breaking strenght with a spring or digital scale before each outing, there can be no under water obstructions to cut your line or the game will be over before it starts..... but using light tackle does give me an advantage when the fish are fussy, or there is alot of fire in the water ( as was the case Tuesday night..) it's just one more advantage afforded me for spending lots of time doing what I love most.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus
the reel is a Cabo PT40, this is my second season with it, the dragis the best factory drag I have ever seen, I spool the reel with 220 yds of Ande tournoment 15lb test, the leader again is the standard (for me) 25lb Ande mono....
Wow - that is light tackle!
I figured you'd need a big boat rod and reel for those guys, as well as heavier line.
When I was buying my reel I ran into and old friend (who must not like to lose fish) he talked me into the Shimano 6500 baitrunner with 50# suffix braid and 30 # fluorocabon leader material. I put that on an Ugly Stik Tiger 2-piece spinning rod rated for 10 - 50 lbs. So I guess that if I ever do catch a Striper, the equipment is capable - don't know about the operator
Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Wishin i was fishin

There's nothing wrong with using heavy line, but i myself like lighter line as well, you can cast better, your line isn't so noticeable to a big bass in the water, it's hard for the fish to feel your line, and you can fit a lot more line on your spool. It's also a great fight on lighter line. I like i said in my post about what to bring to popham beach this weekend, i have a setup with 17# and 30# on my spools....i like both, i think 30# is the most you really need, just don't horse the fish in and let it do its thing and you'll be good....I must've been jinxed when i went with joe fishing because i broke line 4 times in one night...he breaks line 4 times in one SEASON!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 PM
NukinFuts

Roc, congratulations to you sir. Fantastic fish as always, great to see you hook up with the big ones again.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Lunker

[/quote]"Fish are like prize fighters, light weights are spunky and use alot of energy but lacking real size rarely put up a long fight, the KO is ineveitable.

Medium to light heavy put on a good show, they have lots of stamina and a decent amount of power, thye will give you your moneis worth every time..

Heavy weights, these are the big hitters, they hit hard and slug it out for a long time... but every once inb a while you get a slug...

... the heavy weight will always be looking to knock you out! [/quote]"

Its going to be interesting if I ever do get a decent one. All I've caught are Bluefish and my arms get tired after several of them - not enough to quit but they arn't that big.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Schoolie

Joe,

Congrats! Those are some beautiful fish.

I had a feeling it was time for one of those posts to be coming from you.. When I fished yesterday morning, I found myself casting a black Choopy needle into the shore as I worked my down the beach at false dawn. I know night time is the right time, and you can't beat live eels, but I was hoping to pick up one of the slow little brothers of the fish you caught :)

When I was out, there wasn't much in the way of surf.. generally speaking, how important do you think a good swell coming in is to the fishing? I know I was there on a dropping tide, and with too much light.. not exactly ideal conditions. Are these fish long gone by false dawn?

-- Tom
Old 08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

You know Tom, often times false dawn is often the best, but , especialy after your post,I feel those fish moved, there were just too many of them being too aggressive to be in a normal feeding pattern for this time of year, 3 or 4 fish is a good night, but 9 is a slammer, From the boat, I like it flat, no surprises, I've taken waaaaay to many gunnel rides to enjoy the froth.... I like the last curl of the wave, right up in the sand...

out front, I get fish on every tide, it all depends on their cycle...

I can tell you this much, they didnt hit the river last night, unless it was at the very top of the tide, I left at 1:30,with the changing weather, lighting north and south as well as winds switching quardrents every 5 minutes, I also could hear the surf booming pretty good, I needed no other warning, I decided to stay "home" I made an up river pass on the bottom of the tide and fished the mouth for the swing, tons and tons of bait,primarily sand eels, but the shad and herring are starting to drop as well, there may even have been a few pogies mixed in, I saw a few Tuesday night, I marked a few fish, mostly small, I moved up on the incoming, had the place to myself, early there were tons of schoolies, nothing over 10 lbs, when we left, the place was like a ghost town... it doesnt mean they didnt show the last hour, they have done that a few times this season, you go from dessert to tripples in an instant... and then it ends like it starts....

BTW.. your lure choice isnt a bad one with all the sand eels out front...I've whacked quite a few this season on my floating needles.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:19 PM
First Mate

The lighting last night seemed to be out front on the beaches and
didn't come close inside the river. We hung out inside and had a
steady pick of healthy fish.

My buddy learned a lesson on big fish encounters. We had a 4-footer
to the back of the boat. As I was reaching down to pick her by the lip
she rolled and my buddy had the rod tip too high.

A 4-footer gone free!

We we're still picking fish straight thru dead low.

Got back to the dock close to 1AM and it was just starting to sprinkle.
Fish were still biting.

Perfect night! BTW, my buddy blamed me for losing the biggun...

--cal
Old 08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The lightning was north and south, it often does that this time of year, but with a changing weather pattern, I;ve seen first hand what can happen,I've been doing this way to long not to error on the side of caution...

Another big one gets away.... thats what happens often when schoolies beat the line to a frazzle, the line gets a nick that goes undetected and bingo fish lost... thats one reason I avoid them when at all possible...They are still a PITA even with a 2' eel... 6-10 lb fish are the worst, they fight like hell and continue the battle right into the boat.... they break more lines than 40 lbers.....