heading out - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default heading out

about to leave for a day of fishing. Couldn't get the boat earlier cause the tide was too low at the boat yard.....will probably fish the isnalds for a bit and head out past boston light to around the "B" buhoy for some cod or whatever will take my bait.....will keep everybody posted. I'm thinking of anchoring up one of these nights too and fishing all night from the boat for some late night striper action (still a little too new to be driving the boat at night)
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
in awe of real fisherman

Default Re: heading out

hi brian,
I went out at night for the first time the other night. it was my third time on the water and I checked the weather for a clear night. It really was not bad....you can see better than you would think and if you stay in the same areas that you already know you can use a spotlight to get to the buoys you already know as landmarks....
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM

thanks colad....i think that after I get used to some common areas I'll be able to operate in those same areas with no problem at night. As far as the spotlight goes, I'm a little hesitant I always see boats with them and using them (which can be a big help at times) but I know that when using the spotlight you can lose your nightvision.....I stick with the red lense flashlights. Do you know if they make red lensed spotlights...that would be pretty cool.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Anyways, not much luck today, unless you consider catching tons of dogfish fun. I'm hoping to head out early tomorrow morning as in 3.am. for some fishing.....I'm just gonna look for the birds.

I'll probably end up using more clams and macks for bait.....unless the biat store has fresh bunker. I've heard that eels are awesome at night and are still productive during the day....but how productive. Right now pogies are in the area.....would eels(arguably the best striper bait in the world) outfish pogies during the day? (I know there are exceptions to evey rule; I've heard that eels are still productive during the day....but I wanna know how productive they can be during the day and compared to using bait that is in the area).
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Wishin i was fishin

well brian, this is a topic we've discussed dozens of times.....you'll just have to try your luck in your fishing area with each to find out what would be the most productive for you. By the sounds of it you haven't caught any decent fish this year, so i would say that nothing would hurt at this point.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 PM

haha your right....after not catching anything worth bagging about you get pretty desperate

ill try anything
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Brian, Brian, Brian...... why are you being so hard headed.......FORGET THE DAM CLAMS......unless you want to go flounder and dog fish fishing....

Macks are a good choice, pogies are a good choice, Eels are an excellent choice... keep a pogie snagger on board, if a school pops up, snag one and hook it through the snout and let it swim with he school, or...you can keep them alive (if you have a bait tank) and swim them along the rocks or you can put them on ice and chunk them near the rocks.....

If you realy want to chunk, set up on structure, bring a flat of herring, chum a little at a time while you driift mackerel chunks in the herring slick... bring the fish to you... inside you should be free of the dogfish.( ps , a live eels drifted or cast into a chunk herring slick isnt a bad thing)

If you get a few eels, hook them through the snout on a 4/0 or 5/0 octopuss style hook, get as close to the rocks as you dare and toss them into the rocks, slowly retrieve them in, keeping the rod at 1:00, when you feel a tap, drop the rod tip and when the line comes tight, put the tongs to 'em...

when the sun gets higher you can allow the eels to go a little deeper, just keep them out of the kelp and rock weed...... something to think about that is lost to most people.... the posistion of the basses eyes.... they seem to always be looking up.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

snap out of it!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:44 PM

first off...nice picture.

secondly we will be heading out tomorrow at around 3 a.m. I have plenty of mackeral and.....clams(my friends insisted). I also picked up some menhaden oil.I'm gonna have a look at my charts now...will try to find a place I can anchor up to that is rocky with structure yet safe to be near.IWill chunk the macks in the menhaden oil (not like the herring you recommended roccus but thats all i could find)I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Ahhh the popeye picture... that frikin fish was heavy and it was late and I was tired!

Brian... mackerel is just as good... didnt know you had that many....
Old 06-29-2007, 10:14 AM

just got back...........not the best day. No fish. I'm gonna head back out in a couple of minutes for some shore action...the tide still isn't high. We fished around the islands and tried spots near the birds.....we were near deer island and we just drifted right in the midle of that huge channel there.....there were no boats around but i didnt wanna get to close to the rocks either....moved a little the other way and fished near what i think is called nixes mate? im not sure but there were rocks and a black and white striped structure of some sort.

On the way back we came by long island and thats when the engine got messed up. As I was slowing down to drift the prop made a crazy noise (cant explain it)...it happend right when i cut down on the throttle. I thought i hit osmething and the fishfinder said i was in 1 ft of water then all of a sudden went up to 15 ft. We headed home to be safe but whenever we were going a bit over headway speed the engine would rev but wouldnt go....(almost like when you have a car in neutral and step on the gas).
On the good side I docked the boat with not a single problem and I got a little night boating under my belt (we left at around 330 so it was still dark)
Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Brian,

Sounds like your having all kinds of bad Karma..... hopefully you didnt lunch the dog clutch in the lower unit, you may have spun the hub....If you lucky, maybe you caught a piece of drift wood or a pot bouy and it is jammed in the between the cavitation plate and the prop.

Anyway, I'm beggining to feel bad for you, your putting in your time and have earned my respect..... can you make to Salisbury Ma. on Monday night?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Wishin i was fishin

Brian, sounds like an invite to me....that's something you don't want to pass up. I got to fish with roc a couple weeks ago. He would definitely show you some great techniques.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

brian....jk is right..."MAKE THE DRIVE"...you wont be dissappointed....
Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Wishin i was fishin

i've got a comment about that too....we all know roc as a great fisherman with a lot of knowledge about fishing....but i've gotta say even if he didn't have all that knowledge of fishing, he was a great guy that had a great personality and was just plain fun to fish with.