Braided lines no good? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Braided lines no good?

Hey guys, I remember reading somewhere or hearing from someone somewhere that using braided line for striped bass isn't good. Can someone explain this to me? Why is mono preferred over braided line?
I'm just confused, I've been using braided line for all my other fishing applications I.E. Blackfish(tautog), fluke, flounder, seabass, porgy, codfish, and just about anything else I can think of. But why is it that I've heard or read this somewhere.. Am I crazy?

I just want to know what's up with this theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Braided lines no good?

Probably heard it from someone who has only used mono all their life and is set in their ways. Nothing wrong with using braided lines for striped bass.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Wellcraft V20 w/ 150HP OceanRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Probably heard it from someone who has only used mono all their life and is set in their ways. Nothing wrong with using braided lines for striped bass.
I agree. BUT, I have always felt that stripers were very skiddish fish that would be spooked away from just about anything. I always felt that using mono, the line would be more invisible to the fish, causing more hookups. I have learned over the years, this is not always true. It is just a matter of choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I agree. BUT, I have always felt that stripers were very skiddish fish that would be spooked away from just about anything. I always felt that using mono, the line would be more invisible to the fish, causing more hookups. I have learned over the years, this is not always true. It is just a matter of choice.
A long flourocarbon or mono leader on the end of your braid is the best of both worlds, in my humble opinion.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Striper Hunter

deff a nice long flouro leader 30 to 40 lbs the only reason why braid is sometimes bad is that it can be noisy in the water but ive landed all of my boat bass on braid and i have never had an issue
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Ur favorite Anglers favorite Angler!

I have actually changed from mono to braided. haven't had a reel problem with either, I feel more secure with braided and a 50 mono leader, 5-8oz weight on line slider. but its all up to what ur comfy with and you will still catch on both. good luck and just have fun. Experiment!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Striper Hunter

I went on a party boat with one of my coworkers who swears by braided. He was use a baitcaster. Several times on that trip, his spool made a birds nest.

All of this info could be wrong, but this is what I have heard.

Braided is good because it does not stretch like mono so you can feel hits better.

Braided is not well suited for spinning reels.

Braided uses specific knots. Not quite specialty ones, but the usual list of knots you can use well on mono, some of them are not good on braided.

My two cents, everytime I am out fishing, I usually loose a rig or two on the rocks. If your bottom fishing and more so on the shore, using braided can get pricey.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Official Member

Braid is also excellent for topwater fishing. The line floats, your lure is already on top and the line won't spook the fish. I use braid fishing for Wipers on the Ohio River when using Pencil Poppers and such. Also doesn't matter much if the water's kind of muddy or stained. Can't see it but this is braid tied directly to the lure in stained water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-16-13 009.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	16467  
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don't wonder.. life is full of procrastinators and nay sayers that will drag you down.. as much as a pia it is in the beginning? it will pay dividends when you learn to use it exclusively..

Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Official Member

As a surf fisher, i've had no issues with braid except brands........lost a nice striper on cabela's brand trying to save a little $........i use power pro or spider wire.....G.L.............
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks to all of you for the good insight. I'll be trying different things out here and there. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

just don't give up and take my advise and get some unscented chap stik or a tube of dubbing wax... a little on your fingers taking out the preverbial birds nest/wind loop 'knot' will work wonders.. be safe and have fun...

Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Official Member

I have a couple of questions in regards to braided line for you guys. When i spooled my reels it didnt fit the yrds the reel had listed, it was 100-150 less. Also, i spooled brand new braid on my surf reel and the braid literally broke off in my hand when i had maybe 80yrds out. I really like using braided line but this has me kinda frustrated.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
I have a couple of questions in regards to braided line for you guys. When i spooled my reels it didnt fit the yrds the reel had listed, it was 100-150 less. Also, i spooled brand new braid on my surf reel and the braid literally broke off in my hand when i had maybe 80yrds out. I really like using braided line but this has me kinda frustrated.
What brand of line were you using?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
someone shoulda told you that you need to spool in on wet and it would very well have fit. or you put on 40 or 50 when reel calls for 20? anyway, the breakoff? not sure what happened... just didn't break off in your hand holding it? what were you doing or what did you do leading up to it.. not good anyway but curious..