Berkley Gulp Eels? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
First Mate

Default Berkley Gulp Eels?

I have recently purchased some Berkley Gulp Eels ( 10 in ), they look to be a quite promissing bait. But does anyone know if they are any good or just junk? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on rigging these? I was thinking mabey an eel leader ( swivle to 50lb flouro leader to a 4/0 gami) and hook it like i would a live eel and work it slow just like a live eel? I was also considering rigging them to that of a slug-go with the tandem hooks. If anybody has any feedback feel free, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Berkley Gulp Eels?

imo, you need current to fish that thing.
it won't mimic a live eel as it is like shooting pool with a rope.
but.....
in an inlet with some current and allowing it to drift (i'd insert a small shot of lead in the tail and head to give it a little more weight and movement but that's not the relevant part of it) it is to keep it moving and that is all i can suggest. the scent will have you pick up shit fish by the droves however so any productive bass spot you frequent should no doubt get a fish. i say we trial test these bad boys as we have not done much in the way of field tests as of late.. JIM"":?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 AM
First Mate

Yea they do seem pretty light, i was gonna use some lunker city insert weights to give em some distance casting and some action on the retrieve. I plan on fishing them around jettys where the tide is always ripping, so they shouldn't be a problem, only thing i'm worryed about is blues eating them up...But thanks for the imput. I will also report back on how they worked as i should be field testing them hopefully this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

get yerself some tin squids and use them to cast em near the jetties.
you need to get down in the spots where the fish have found a lie in wait position to intercept your offering. rocks are a bitch to fish jigs around but well worth the reward imo. you will lose a few but can get nice fish out of the quest. the lunker city chits are not heavy enough for that location unless it is like 2-3 ft. and the current will move it away too quickly

Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Alright, theinsert weights were mostly for improved action, but i have to pick up some tin squids then i'll give it a try. Also what about attaching it to a kast master and just slinging it out there and working it back slowly? Just an idea, thanks again for the feedback.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Try fishing it as a trailer on a bucktail.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM
First Mate

I'll give that a shot too, i'll post back with any results.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Alright, theinsert weights were mostly for improved action, but i have to pick up some tin squids then i'll give it a try. Also what about attaching it to a kast master and just slinging it out there and working it back slowly? Just an idea, thanks again for the feedback.
I've never seen it done but that doesn't mean it won't work
Have a go and let us know how it swims
Old 06-26-2009, 06:00 PM
First Mate

Will do sudsy, i'm hopefully going tomorrow if it plays out right and ill post back tomorrow night at how they work in the water and if i got any hits.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Official Member

my wife caught her first striper on one of these in the natural color i had it rigged with a j hook and a egg sinker above a ball bearing swivel they seem ok we all caught fish on them that day it made the day to because i was anchored up with a spun prop awaited a tow that took hours to get. alot of junk fish also though. Its just nice to have a jar on the boat for those times you run out of the reel thing.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Official Member

as to durability i know at least hers caught like 6 or more on one eel she saved it to and it sits all dryed out in my house lol
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Striper Hunter

They work on the boat, I have to bounce the rig.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Dry Fly Flinger

Hey new to striper fishing, but a great lure I've discovered for imparting action to lifeless bait is the Viper spoon; check out...

http://store.thundermistlures.com/

Similar products exist with a gang hook rig trailing a spoon, but these things are great for any kind of artificial I've tried. Just bought some of the eels you mentioned and am gonna try them on a spoon this spring to see for myself. One thing I will say for Stripers, you'll need one of the 4 or 5 sizes as the hooks on the lower 3 sizes are probably too small.

Let me know how these eels did for you since your post is nearing a year old now. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Use a wobble head to give it some life like action