Braided line - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Braided line

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
and it sux why?
you really have to be more specific when responding to your own thread.
you can only learn from your mistakes/failures/and experiences. as well as your success should that apply.
I definitely learned a few things. However, I now know that I will re-spool the reel myself with a heavier braid that is mono backed and wet spool it. I think those 2 things are key.

Plus I had a tough time tying a good knot with such a thin line

I did not know about closing the bail by hand

Definitely wherever my dad purchased the reel for me they dry spooled it and it was not mono backed and at 20lb test it just seemed to tear very easily

Thanks for all the advice. The knots were frustrating complicated by a dark night and poor eyes to begin with

Although did you see the orange full moon come up over the horizon last night. Very nice. I had plenty of time to watch it rise in the sky. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
John,
I forgot to mention. Always close your bail by hand after the cast when using braid. Don't just crank the handle to close the bail, as many times this will trap a loop of line across your spool resulting in a knot on the next cast. Like anything else, it takes some time to get used to.
Remember when we fished that Saturday morning and I got a wind knot, what Jake just explained is exactly why that happened. Every once in a while just tension the line as you reel in with your off hand That will help to keep it taut on the spool.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

try that with a 704Z with a bail. lmfao

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
try that with a 704Z with a bail. lmfao
Fortunately he's not using a 704Z with a bail.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no chit cherlock..
it was a what if it was a 704z comment --tough guy.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Veteran Elite

My casting finger looks like a tomato from a Ginsu knife infomercial. I had to switch to my middle finger while fishing yesterday and now that one has 2 slices. I'm picking up an aquaskinz finger shield before the tip falls off during a cast. This happens every year and I always say I'm picking one up and never do. Last year I was using electric tape,band-aids and duct tape, which by the way doesn't work for shit.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
My casting finger looks like a tomato from a Ginsu knife infomercial. I had to switch to my middle finger while fishing yesterday and now that one has 2 slices. I'm picking up an aquaskinz finger shield before the tip falls off during a cast. This happens every year and I always say I'm picking one up and never do. Last year I was using electric tape,band-aids and duct tape, which by the way doesn't work for shit.
Get a breakaway cannon. Always on the rod. More distance, no missing fingers.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i've plugged with a cannon and it is a handicap in some respects. if you cast with it and you have a senior moment and the plug is caught or cast goes awry that plug is goin bye bye.(and nobody dare say they will never do it cause that's a crock so don't dissappoint me - there's always a first for everything you perfectionist egomaniacs "you know who you are out there..) - with your finger you can at least give the plug a fighting chance by allowing it and the rod to fall. we can eliminate the conventional pluggers from this application btw as it is useless in that regard. some don't have bailess so with that item alot of larger reels have a bail that comes very close to the sucker when the rod is horizontal and you are clanging it off the bail arm. (i have a rubber band on my rods with them and after a cast i put the rubberband over the clip to prevent that from being an issue. one of thee best inventions on the face of the earth as casting 8 and bait and tins it cannot be beat.
the rubber band? is off a head of broccoli or other produce as it is fat and small enough to just fit around the rod handle. perfect for that situation (take the reel off and slide it on and replace the reel -piece of cake "if you have a 704 or if for bait an 9500 8500 penn or some other larger reel.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Veteran Elite

I picked up the AS shield. I meant to take a couple of casts with your cannon but spaced it out. I don't think I know anyone else who has one.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Striper Hunter

I went today and looked at some heavier weight braid. The Stren looked good as it feels coated and less stringy. But no maker says that it is mono backed. I am assuming the mono backing is something I have to do myself. Can you explain this in a little more detail?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro Staff

Take some 20lb test mono, and tie it to your empty spool with an arbor knot. Crank on about 10 yards or so, then tie your braid to it with an Albright knot, and continue filling the spool with the braid to about 1/8" from the lip of the spool. I assume you're doing this on the Stella, but if you're doing a large reel like your BR6500's, you'll want to fill the spool a bit more with mono before tying on the braid, as it's cheaper and a 300 yd spool of braid probably won't fill the spool far enough.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i think he wants to know "why" it is necessary..
if you don't back the spool with mono the braid will just spin and not catch and you will be reeling and reeling and reeling and reeling and reeling and reeling ------ you need something for the braid to dig into.. hope this is what you wanted to know..

Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Striper Hunter

Both. How and why

Thanks guys

Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Cannot stress enough the two things people have been saying...at least for me it made a HUGE difference...Protect the finger (I am trying out the aquaskinz finger guard...nees some getting used to in the feel department) and CLOSE THE BAIL manually...you will have SOOOOO many less wind knots. and wind knots ruin my day of fishing so quick by just putting me in a foul mood....
Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Colad you're from Douglas? I'm the next town over. We should get out fishing sometime