Merrimack: Why all the fuss? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Official Member

Default Merrimack: Why all the fuss?

I was looking at a map just now and saw a hundred or more little bays and inlets all up and down the coast. Outside of the outer cape and the Canal I can't think of a single spot that gets talked about as much as my Merrimack river. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I have such a resource literaly steps away from my house (even if I haven't quite figured out how to utilize it yet) but I can't help but thinking that all this attention focused on this one river is doing a diservice to the rest of the state! Are there realy THAT many more fish in the Mack than in Salem Harbor or the Anisquam. Even places closer by like Hampton Harbor and the Ipswich River don't get the air-time that the Mack gets. So, I ask you all, is it fact or just P.R?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Merrimack: Why all the fuss?

Best way to find out is to put your time in and fish it.
Fish move - chase bait and migrate. They are all along most of the eastern seaboard.

Yesterday several 40s and a few 50's were caught in Cape May NJ.
Chesapeake and Delaware cows migrating north.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Best way to find out is to put your time in and fish it.
Fish move - chase bait and migrate. They are all along most of the eastern seaboard.

Yesterday several 40s and a few 50's were caught in Cape May NJ.
Chesapeake and Delaware cows migrating north.
No doubt, but it's not realy a question of my fishing, just a general observation that you don't hear a lot about the Saugs River or Marblehaed Neck like you do about the Merrimack. I grew up on the North Shore and it makes my heart just a Little sad to hear Beverly and Nahant left out of the conversation.

As for myself, I'm getting out whenever I can and I got one so far this year down PI way. None "up-river" despite several outings. I'll figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the reason you don't hear about that is that people in the know keep things like that to themselves. there is such a thing as a diversion. things are purposely posted to veer goons away from a prime spot. the merrimack is overrated because of the internet and because boneheads post pics of schoolies at joppa and other spots and every report chaser on the internet now thinks he knows where all the fish are based on some stupid outing with stupid fish. same goes for places everywhere. i suspect you will find a spot and get some fish and then post that you were there and got into lots of schoolies and it too will be overrated. just a shame as i don't live up there but know full well boat traffic in that river is out of control. and the internet has made damn sure of that..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Striper Envy

Not to highjack this thread or attack you Zimno but....you sound a bit jaded.

"goons", "boneheads post pics of schoolies on Joppa", "Stupid outings with stupid fish"...Geeze? Tell us how you really feel.

I have wondered the same thing....Is there something special about the fishery in the merrimack....bait, structure, current, etc,,,etc,,,etc,,,compared to other inlets and rivers.

I don't get out enough to fish all these other options either which is why guys like me ask stupid questions on the internet which is what it's all about....sharing experiences and also learning from others experiences.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 AM
First Mate

There are fish in the Merrimack but also everywhere else along the east coast. When I finally locate spots, I tend not to post them all over the internet. There is definitely something to be said about putting in your time. I've been doing exactly that for a few years, and only scratched the surface. It gives you respect for the guys that have been marking spots, and keeping them quiet, for many years. The Merrimack is out of control with boat traffic, and a place I avoid when everyone else is trying to fish it. That said, I think everyone should fish it so I can fish elsewhere without having to deal with the boat traffic.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Lunker

I don't think it is that there are more fish ,I believe its is the access to the river,state launch at the mouth,state park, town launch in, launchs up river.pretty safe harbor with a lot safe water in side that hold a good number of fish.The mouth at times is a son of a gun. but all in all if you use your head you can have a fun time with out much worry there.VT
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
swabbie

I've often wondered why there is so much more internet hub-ub about the 'Mac than most other places. I can see why the guys that fished there before the internet might get a bit irritated. Probably what happened is some guys who fished a REALLY good spot started an internet campaign to send people to the Merrimac so they could keep their great area to themselves! Also, a zillion googans look at pics of Roccus holding up huge cows and they all head to the Merrimac river... what they don't realize is that he could catch them in a puddle if he had to
Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Lunker

its bedlam most of the time and dangerous out by the mouth
Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Official Member

Hahahah.. agree, Roccus is guilty for all Merrimac googans problem...
Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Official Member

Yea, well whatever was going on at the mouth, there was nothing goin on up river near the dam. I was hucking bait and caught nothing but a lesson in shad fishing (man, those things are a lot bigger than I thought that they would be. I tried switching to a blue and silver sluggo after I saw the shad guys pulling blue over silver shads out (they weren't "Shad" Color!!!) but still got nothing. I was amazed to see how many foot long fish were "right there" that you couldn't see at all because the bank dropped off so quickly. My Brute Force Maximum Stick can cast WICKED far now that I ahve some lighter line on it (well, wicked far for me). I think that I had too much weight on it after I added the Herring heads as it cast less far but the weight still wasn't enough to ground on the bottom before being swept down stream. Wet lines and doin' time. Beat the hell out of sitting on the house reading internet!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigK View Post
its bedlam most of the time and dangerous out by the mouth

You might not want to be in a row boat at the mouth ,but if you use your noggin you will be fine out there.VT
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Don't ever anchor anywhere near the mouth or along the jetties. That will surely cause grief.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Lunker

We had a wicked good drift set up ,might have been 10 boats,then 3 guys drop the hook right in the channel quarter way down the jetty .you talk about turmoil and bad words.VT
Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vthackle View Post
We had a wicked good drift set up ,might have been 10 boats,then 3 guys drop the hook right in the channel quarter way down the jetty .you talk about turmoil and bad words.VT
A little bit of common sense goes a long way. Dropping a anchor anywhere near the mouth is a recipe for disaster.