eels from shore - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM

Default eels from shore

so i have come to the conclusion that striped bass love these little things. i've also come across the trick of using ice to "put the to sleep." my question about eels is 1: are they productive from shore? and 2: where do you hook these things??? 3: how long will they stay in a bucket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 PM

Default Re: eels from shore

hook 'em up through the lower jaw and up through an eye socket, right or left eye I don't think matters, with a 5/0 circle hook. They should definitely be good from shore. I keep 'em in a plastic bag and that bag sits on ice. You can also keep them in a bucket but they can drown in water after they've consumed all of the oxygen in the water or they can drown in their own slime. So google up "eel bucket" - basically its a bucket bottom, 3" tall", with holes drilled, and that bucket bottom is placed inside another bucket inverted so that the eels stay above the water level.

We were 3 guys in a boat on Joppa Flats 2 weekends ago. We were using clams, chunk mackerel, sandworms, and all sorts of lures, didn't catch nothing. When we switched to eels we started pulling them in.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:09 AM
First Mate

Eels are good, keep it simple, good swivel, 2 ft leader, hold them with a rag, offset octopus hook in through the mouth and out through the lower jaw. Get a couple of quick casts off with a fast retrieve and they will settle right down. Fish them low and slow, structure is good and so is the beach. Small water at night is the finest.

As you are in my area, ask the bait shop for the smallest eels possible (lie)

I can keep them all week-end in a cooler, ice then towel then eels, just drain the water and keep the towel wet, mist them if the ice melt isn't doing it. Get a dedicated cooler, otherwise you will hear bad things from the woman in your life.

Key is to toss your eel where the bass are ...this may take some time to figure out.

Tight lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
LunkerSpunker

Personally I like my eels big and as lively as possible, so I don't Ice em or slap em around. I keep em in a bag that hangs from my wade belt and handle em with a scouring pad. Personally I've found that through the bottom jaw and out the eye keeps em alive longest.The more they move the less work I have to do in my retrieve. Also the bigger they are....well they get noticed better I think. Whatever you do, go SLOOOWW.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM

thanks for the responses. i was expecting to just toss em out with a 2oz weight and let them sit! i already have a cooler that the girlfriend has designated my "bait cooler" so that wont be a problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
LunkerSpunker

Yeah Erik. I wouldn't chuck it out there like you would with chunks, if you do the eel will ball up on your line and you'll have a nightmare but you wont know til you reel it in, not good. You really have to keep em moving to stop this but even the slowest retrieve imaginable should be enough to prevent this. I usually rig like Spike mentioned and do a simple SLOW retrieve.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:55 PM

no worries about me stealing all of your large size eels spike. i wont be back to salisbury for a while (I live an hour and 15 away). But when i do i will let you know so you can stock up.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:35 PM

i fish them with a penn liveliner and just reel enough to keep the slack out of the line.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Yes, I use 'em all of the time. I hook 'em, through the bottom and out of the top of the mouth. I use a 6/0 or 7/0 circle hook. And, I put ice in my eel bucket, they stay alive for hours. As the ice melts, I pour the water out.
I haqven't had a prooly yet.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 PM

I fish them in areas with a lot of currents. let 'em drift, keep the slack out of your line. If you need weight to get them under, use a rubber core sinker- like a half oz to an oz.

Good luck and have fun
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Lunker

I made a false botton for my cooler so the slime and water drains , leaving just the eels on ice not as messy and keeps the eels out of the crap.I tried hooking them back in the tail and fished them under a bob,I thought I had something for a while ,but I am back to hooking them under the bottom lip out the eye.good luck.VT
Old 06-29-2008, 08:24 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

I've heard that Stripers are head hunters eating their prey head first most of the time so hooking them in the mouth might increase your hook up percentages. This makes sense when you think about how stripers like to feed: facing current and/or behind structure. When they do this they are facing directly towards any incoming bait fish which means taking their dinner head first. That false bottom cooler sounds like an awesome idea though.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM

big fan of the false bottom idea. care to give some more detail? i was thinking maybe some tuper ware like material with holes drilled in it. just have to come up with an excuse as to where the tuperware went.........
Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Lunker

I cut some scrap plexieglass screwed legs on it, sets up 2"s off the bottom of the cooler,drilled a bunch off 1/4" holes so it would drain,I also have a 5gal bucket with ribs around the top when you put in side another it set up about 3"s drilled drain holes in the top one, works fine.VT
Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Learning in progress

I use the 2 bucket method also. I have 2 3 gallon buckets that fit inside of each other, with approx 3" of space. The top bucket i drilled a good amount of 1/4" holes. Then you just throw in some ice, eels and as the ice melts and the eel's slime it drips into the catch bucket. Just empty the bottom bucket every once and a while so the eels do not drown. Good luck!