Anyone know....>The new STEWIACKE Regulations - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Surf's Up

Default Anyone know....>The new STEWIACKE Regulations

The law for stewieake river? I heard they made one. I would like to know what it is before i go fishing there.
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Anyone know....>

I called DFO in Halifax last Monday, left a message they called me back on Friday. I did get the guy's name and number, he's their "striper expert". It's in my office so I'll post it tomorrow,it didn't do me any good because I was already there on Thursday.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Surf's Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dave View Post
I called DFO in Halifax last Monday, left a message they called me back on Friday. I did get the guy's name and number, he's their "striper expert". It's in my office so I'll post it tomorrow,it didn't do me any good because I was already there on Thursday.
Thanks, Dave i was thinking u can use live bait just no barb on ur hook is what i heard.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 AM

New striped bass regulations being implemented
COLIN MACLEAN
The Truro Daily News
06/05/08

STEWIACKE — Concerns by recreational fishermen about a forced shutdown of the striped bass fishery have been alleviated following a meeting with Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO).
But that doesn’t mean fishermen will get to take home what they catch.
“We are not anticipating a closure of the striped bass fishery in 2008,” said DFO spokesman Greg Stevens. “We’ll likely put in place some hook-and-release provisions and perhaps some gear restrictions.”
Almost 100 fishermen attended a meeting at Stewiacke fire hall last week to discuss the future of the local striped bass
fishery.
Spawning concerns had caused DFO officials to consider shutting down the fishery in parts of the Stewiacke and Shubenacadie rivers.
Fishermen overwhelmingly rejected that option, however, they were in favour of the catch-and-release alternative.
Stevens said the general feeling in the room was one of, “we’re not interested in killing fish, we’re interested in fishing.’”
Recreational fisherman Russell Buffett agreed.
Buffett said he doesn’t keep his catches anyway and estimated about 95 per cent of those fishing the rivers were in favour of some type of control, just not an outright ban.
“... I mean nobody is really starving and if the bass are in trouble you might as well just fish them for fun,” he said. “And if they’re really in trouble you might as well not fish them at all.”
DFO is expecting to implement the catch-and-release policy by next week and have it run until mid June.
Link
[email protected]

This link and data shows a very good trend in the number of catch and release bass. Notice the numbers for recreational harvest in table 6 for 1985 compared to 2000.
Nice to see the trends for catch and release continue.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishing/sresults.pdf
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Anyone know....>The new STEWIACKE Regulations

Greg Stevens 902-426-5433
Old 05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Surf's Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
New striped bass regulations being implemented
COLIN MACLEAN
The Truro Daily News
06/05/08

STEWIACKE — Concerns by recreational fishermen about a forced shutdown of the striped bass fishery have been alleviated following a meeting with Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO).
But that doesn’t mean fishermen will get to take home what they catch.
“We are not anticipating a closure of the striped bass fishery in 2008,” said DFO spokesman Greg Stevens. “We’ll likely put in place some hook-and-release provisions and perhaps some gear restrictions.”
Almost 100 fishermen attended a meeting at Stewiacke fire hall last week to discuss the future of the local striped bass
fishery.
Spawning concerns had caused DFO officials to consider shutting down the fishery in parts of the Stewiacke and Shubenacadie rivers.
Fishermen overwhelmingly rejected that option, however, they were in favour of the catch-and-release alternative.
Stevens said the general feeling in the room was one of, “we’re not interested in killing fish, we’re interested in fishing.’”
Recreational fisherman Russell Buffett agreed.
Buffett said he doesn’t keep his catches anyway and estimated about 95 per cent of those fishing the rivers were in favour of some type of control, just not an outright ban.
“... I mean nobody is really starving and if the bass are in trouble you might as well just fish them for fun,” he said. “And if they’re really in trouble you might as well not fish them at all.”
DFO is expecting to implement the catch-and-release policy by next week and have it run until mid June.
Link
[email protected]

This link and data shows a very good trend in the number of catch and release bass. Notice the numbers for recreational harvest in table 6 for 1985 compared to 2000.
Nice to see the trends for catch and release continue.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishing/sresults.pdf
Thanks again, Jim.