The Hows and Whats of Trolling for Stripers - Page 7 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Trolling for Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Trolling for Stripers How tos - instruction - Downriggers Planer boards - gear and other techniques and tips

Old 06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Official Member

Default Re: The Hows and Whats of Trolling for Stripers

Hello everyone, I just joined the site and wanted to say that I'm very impressed by the information supplied in posts. Gunnysniper, great info on trolling the tube. This is what sites are disigned for, sharing info, not the I fished ocean X spot today using special X bait and caught X amount of fish in X amount of water near spot X

I would like to add something that has worked very well for me in the past.

I troll T-man tubes, and I'm still learning the in and outs about it, but a technique that has worked well for me is trolling Gibbs Danny Swimmer on wire line, I like to get it down near bottom and typically in 25 feet of water I have it down around 18 or so, and have had huge success with this method. The down fall is if you get hung up your out 15 bucks or more.

Look forward to contributing and reading these great posts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 04:09 AM

Very Informative podcasts from www.Chumlordfishing.com
Thank you Chumlord for sharing them with us.

Chumlord Fishing trolling podcast Part 1

Chumlord Fishing trolling podcast Part 2
Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 PM

I have raised my family Down East Maine as a commercial fishermen. I grew up on LI NY rod and real fishen. I now have had the time to go back to the rod and real. I want you to know I have heard and read many fishen stories as we all have but your dads leason on learned knowledge belonging to the next person is something I will keep with me. As a comm who made it all about the money I have to say, any man who said this to his boy tells me it was not all about the money. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
Wassp,
10 year olds are what it's all about. I was very fortunate to be surrounded at a young age by lot's of Stripermen. Earlier in the post I mentioned my old man was a comm. That was back in the 60's-70's. Fish were everywhere, and we fished everywhere. From spring trips to Montauk, to the Fall gathering at the Vineyard. One day I'll put up some pics of those days. One photo has 11 adults and 1 ten year old, me. Behind us is a stack of Stripers representing 1 nights efforts. More than a cord of Bass, none under 40.
Fishing with the old man usually was no fun, it was all about the money.
He had a few older buds however that did enjoy fishing for the sake of fishing. I kind of got taken under wing. They taught me to tie flies, build rods, Make plugs, etc., etc., etc..
You are not far from me at all, and maybe we could get together to share some stories. I could go for hours about Ol' Jack. The man was bigger than life to me. The reason I share my knowledge is specifically due to something he said to me.
"When you learn from someone else, that knowledge does not belong to you, it belongs to the next person that needs it."
Your 10 year old has the attitude to become a Striperman, If I gave you the knowledge at the right time, and he follows that path, Then I have done right by him/her.
Tight lines, and please keep me posted on the progress.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 PM

My old man was all about the money, Old man Jack was one of the old timers that took me under his wing, basically doing for me what my father wanted nothing to do with.
Just a clarification.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Striper Hunter

I wanted to bump this thread up.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Default Trolling for Stripers

For anyone interested in learning more about trolling for striped bass, check out the article link below. It is a fairly comprehensive article that can teach a lot about catching stripers.

www.adventurecharters.org/rhodeislandstriperfishingtrollingtactics.htm

Captain Chris Bell
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Official Member

great article Capt,thanx
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Charter Captain - Guide

I have some Trolling articles on my website in the About Capt. John area of the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Montauk 2005 006.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	14728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripers 05 009.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	14729  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrillizer View Post
wassp welcome to the board!

I troll sometimes in the Summer off Boars Head in Hampton. I throw out your average trolling lures, as well as some "speciality" things like Rapala Sliver's and Manns Stretched Sea Snake. We've had 30 fish days while trolling for Stripers off Hampton and North Hampton NH. But I'm not sure about Mass., I dont fish down there too often.
Thanks for your reply. What type of gear do you use? I do head up to the Shores of Hampton quite often. So will give this a try.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Official Member

I know that this is an old thread, but as I get ready for another season out on the Sound I really appreciate all of the tips you guys have so freely given here! What a great website!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:03 AM
Official Member

I'm still out here on the west side of the map and haven't been able to retire and make a striper run out there yet. When I do retire, that's first on the list. That being said, I do troll for stripers out here and was wondering if our method would work out there. Here we don't troll in the ocean for stripers. At least no one I know. We work the delta. The Sacramento River, the Mokelumne River, and Steamboat Slough to name a few. There's many more. I like to shallow troll, 6' to 8' deep has been good to me but you have to watch the sonar all the time to follow the contour of the bottom. I will deep troll too but no deeper than 15'. I use a 9'9" Lamiglass Norwest Special rod with a Diawa line counter reel. I run 60 lb. Power Pro braded line with a 6' mono 30lb. leader. My go to lure is the Yozuri crystal minnow shallow runner with a white body and a red head. I change out the hooks with 4X hooks and attach a 6" white trick worm on the back hook. This tightens up the wobble and drives the stripers nuts. Another good pattern is the rainbow trout. I haven't had a chance to read every post here yet, I will, but so far I haven't seen anything like this method used out there. Do you guys think this would work out there? (I haven't been here for a while and looking back I see I've touched on this before so please forgive my redundancy)