How do you properly bait a circle hook? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Official Member

Default How do you properly bait a circle hook?

Hello all, I was just wondering if the bait on a circle hook (bunker, crabs, clams, eels, etc.) has to be put on in a certain way, so as to possibly not affect its hooking ability. I am aware they're meant to hook the corner of the fish's mouth, but I thought that if there was too much bait material in the gap and throat (e.g big goey glob of clam, or a bunker head hooked through the eyes), it might just slide right out of the mouth instead of hooking it. This was never a concern for me with regular J-Hooks as I thought forcefully setting the hook would solve that matter, but would it affect a circle hook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Lunker
Pro Staff

Default Re: How do you properly bait a circle hook?

Your suspicions are correct. Packing a circle with bait is a big reason people have problems with a stuck fish staying stuck (second to using too small a hook).

Clams and bigger chunks are problematic.

Here's how I rig a clam; there is no slipping down and nothing is going to pull it off on the first tug.

If I want "dangles" (my son's word, back when he was 6 ) I hook the siphon and leave the lips hanging.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamrig4.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	12093

Name:	clamrig6.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	12094

Name:	clamrig7.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	12095

Name:	clamrig8.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	12096

Name:	clamrig9.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	12097

Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 AM
Official Member

Thank you so much for the detailed pictures ReelinRod; as well as confirming my suspicions regarding the proper baiting technique of the circle hook. Although I do have one more question, what would be the best way to bait cut bunker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 AM
First Mate

There are pages of posts and threads regarding this on this here site

search button above OR EVEN BETTER SEARCH

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Stripers247+hooking+bunker
OR
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stripers247+bunker+chunks

When hooking chunks I like to use Circle Chunk hooks, the hook has a wider J

here is another link for hooking and cutting bunker
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=5061&highlight=cutting+bunker
Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Lunker
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFunNY View Post
what would be the best way to bait cut bunker?
Pretty much the same, I hook the bait just under the skin so the hard ridge of the belly lays on the beads and I wrap thread the same way.

I'm going down tomorrow for the weekend and I will rig and take pics and post them on Sunday.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelinRod View Post
Pretty much the same, I hook the bait just under the skin so the hard ridge of the belly lays on the beads and I wrap thread the same way.

I'm going down tomorrow for the weekend and I will rig and take pics and post them on Sunday.
I don't think I have ever tied chunks on, clams yes-chunks no. you should also learn how to cut the bait(chunks) Insert the hook through 1 side of the back and out the other passing through the spine bone. I tend to stay away from the belly part with the hook because it's so soft. I always have the tip of the hook including the barb exposed. If it comes off like schrapnel, get fresh (er) bait. I also use the whole head and stuff the heart in the mouth.(not like picture. If the bait is very big then you don't havr to go through the spine
If it gets washed away then chances are it was time to change anyway. Only other problem can be is crabs. Not all people use beads and crimps on there rigs, I usually tie a snell at my hook. There are many threads and things to learn by doing a search
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Steaking_Menhaden.jpg
Views:	4620
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	12104  
Old 10-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the response guys, and yes, I should have of definitely done a search first. As a newbie, I underestimated the vast resources of knowledge on this site. And after clicking on the links provided by JerseyStriper, I had a great time going from one thread to another.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Lunker
Pro Staff

So here's my bunker on a circle hook technique. Same 8/0 Gami, same beads, same crimp. Hook is kept on one side of the chunk and is not stuck too far under the skin. The gut cavity collapses against the beads and the thick skin and hard ridge really stay put.

This triangular shape is my powercast set-up for fishing over the bar or my favorite, the mouth of a cut in the bar. This shape flies very nice on a short fishfinder (<2") It is good for 150 yards barring a hard onshore wind.

I modify the shape if I want a longer leader; narrower and straight sides and use a clipdown rig or an up and over fishfinder clipped down.

Here is an up and over rig; this allows you to use a long leader and eliminate helicoptering.

My drawing shows a 200 gram (7oz) Breakaway Tackle Impact Lead; here's one ready to fly over the bar with a tied-up clam bait:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
you should also learn how to cut the bait(chunks)
Yeah, I'll get right on that . . .

Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelinRod

Yeah, I'll get right on that . . .
My comments were directed to fishinfun not you, I should have stated that better. The part about learning how to cut bait is one of the most important parts. I should also state that there hare been a few times I have used rigs with crimps and beads and this was when I was using Breakaway rig kit also I do use beads on my sinker slide. Many times I also filet a strip of the bunker, by not tieing and or using a strip allows the bait to flap in water making a more enticing presentation. As also posted the head is the best and most productive part and I allows stuff the heart in the mouth this has been proven to be more effective(also why waste it). I did not say anything you do is wrong, I was just stating what I prefer. I also like the Daiichi chunk hooks as the have a barb on the shank that helps hold the bait from moving up and covering the barb. Most of all by doing a search he can find many different setups and then choose what he wants to use

PS I do like the Sputnik style sinkers sinkers at times. As far as the cutting bunker statement again I should have specified but it was inregards to this question " Although I do have one more question, what would be the best way to bait cut bunker? "
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Actually after thinking about it there are some rigs that were given to me that I use, these are crimped and use spring loop line protectors. They do use beads but only on the sinker slides and the crimps are at the swivel and on their H-low rigs they also crmps at the snap and the swivel. These are Tournament Trophy Bair rigs. There is nothing wrong with crimping and using beads I just usually don't, 99.9% of the time I snell my hooks. The rigs mentioned above are some of the best ones I have seen available that you can buy, I don't buy them as I tie for a 1/4 of the cost
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Official Member

Just kosher salt ya clams and it turns into rubber and never falls off