In search of big stripers in the Merrimack - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: In search of big stripers in the Merrimack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
isle of shoals is loaded with macs...last saturday i set up to tuna fish (chunking and floating live macs preying for a bite....) i left the doc in the am with 6 gallon bags of frozen macs(probally 20-30 in each bag) and i came back with 8 bags and we chummed/chunked heavily all day. We had then under the boat all day. probally why charlie didnt bite.....to much on his plate!
I hear you, that's just a pretty long run for me. I'm also just not very familiar with IOS at all, so I'm hesitant to run out there and end up getting skunked because I don't know where to go.

On another forum, I was reading about slow trolling for mackerel to try and locate the school - then stopping and chumming them up when you find them. Seems like a reasonable strategy to try.

How's the bigger fish action at IOS these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Striper Hunter

For you Merrimack striper veterans, how does the migration pattern typically go in September / October? When they come back down from the North, do they spend about as much time and in the same haunts as when they are journeying North? Or, are they a bit more fat and a bit more transitory? Someone told me that heading South, they don't come in the river as much, and are mostly caught along the beach or in some cases further out.

Also, how long is the striper fishing typically good in the Merrimack? I've got a buddy who's looking to come at the end of September, but I wouldn't want him to come if the fishing season will be over by then.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Grasshoppah

i dont really fish the river in the fall. i set up out deeper and catch the big fish on their way back south. Someone else on here will have better fall inshore advice but we do VERY well in the fall out deeper.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Striper Hunter

What are you looking for to try and find them out deep? If they are migrating, looking for the usual fishing spots (structure, depth changes) doesn't seem like it would be as productive since they aren't really holding on a spot too much. How far out do you go?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Grasshoppah

About 2.98 miles!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Ahhhh KR, I see....

as long as you only have .02 miles of casting distance....
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Striper Hunter

How's the action lately? I haven't been out in a few weeks. From Surfland, seems like mostly bluefish and schoolies these days. Mackerel still pretty hard to come by?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
First Mate

i havent been out in almost 3 weeks either.....weddings and weather have been cutting into my fishing time. I'm headed for IOS tomarrow for some "tuna wishing" ...... may try to play with some stipers after if i have bait left over/energy enough...lol
Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Official Member

Hey guys, brand new to this site but have read it often. I live in Andover and I have been catchin alot of schoolies this summer in merrimack river mostly on sandworms. I didnt have much success with clam or chunks until recently and I believe its because of WHEN I go fishing. My last 2 trips out I got up at 3:30 am and hit the water by 4 and have landed my 2 biggest stripers (lifetime) before sunrise. One on Clams and one on Mack chunks. Both fish were close to 40 inches. I'm sure its redundant advice but if you can get your butt outta bed you will not regret it. The cows will be blasting the surface trying to feed. Throw whatever bait you have in their general direction and your bound to land a cow. Hope this helps man.... good luck
Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Grasshoppah

tons of bluefish with a few stripers mixed in. we have been chasing tuna in the am and hitting the blues on the way in. still getting macs at ios.

for the macks....we seem to hook up and the other boats around us dont. here is my secret......i grind up frozen macs with an old food processor and mix it with oatmeal. mack crack!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
i havent been out in almost 3 weeks either.....weddings and weather have been cutting into my fishing time. I'm headed for IOS tomarrow for some "tuna wishing" ...... may try to play with some stipers after if i have bait left over/energy enough...lol
I'm headed up around that way tomorrow too. Heard plenty of small fish around just not on top. Spent today way down south at Peaked Hill and SWC and it was slow with some fish on top on some kind of micro bait. Got one down those areas on Tues on the troll (48 '') on a another slow day. So we are going to stick around the shoals tomorrow. Will be on ch 8 just hail "Chris V" if you wanna share some intel. PM me and I'll fill you in on my plan
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM
First Mate

just saw your post....how you do? was set up and chuming by 400am. had a nice 4lb blue hooked on under a ballon and macks on my down baits....and zippo! saw no tuna marked no tuna. stayed till 11ish then was over tight to the ios and heard someone hooked up in the fleet....figures. tons on small purpose/dolphins around.
this weekend i will be fishing friday and saturday, i belive i'm gonna sit on the hook till noon and then head to the ledge for the afternoons weather permitting or go inshore to play with bass/blues.
My boat is named "knothuntin" 21' walkaround with a arch...easy to spot. Shoot me a pm if you want or give me shout on the radio if your around
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
just saw your post....how you do? was set up and chuming by 400am. had a nice 4lb blue hooked on under a ballon and macks on my down baits....and zippo! saw no tuna marked no tuna. stayed till 11ish then was over tight to the ios and heard someone hooked up in the fleet....figures. tons on small purpose/dolphins around.
this weekend i will be fishing friday and saturday, i belive i'm gonna sit on the hook till noon and then head to the ledge for the afternoons weather permitting or go inshore to play with bass/blues.
My boat is named "knothuntin" 21' walkaround with a arch...easy to spot. Shoot me a pm if you want or give me shout on the radio if your around
We didn't do much. Got into some serious life though with a few humpbacks, tons of porpi, 3 blue dogs up top,big schools of half beaks and one huge mako free jumping..trolled the area hard for some rec tuna and did not see/mark one.

Went sharking yesterday inshore to work on a theory my buddies and i had (he got a mako last week where we thought they would hang) not so much luck for me except a few blue dogs. I'm out of commission till at least Sunday.

I have a 21 ft sea hunt cc. no name as of now. do you fish out of the merrimack?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalaska28 View Post
We didn't do much. Got into some serious life though with a few humpbacks, tons of porpi, 3 blue dogs up top,big schools of half beaks and one huge mako free jumping..trolled the area hard for some rec tuna and did not see/mark one.

Went sharking yesterday inshore to work on a theory my buddies and i had (he got a mako last week where we thought they would hang) not so much luck for me except a few blue dogs. I'm out of commission till at least Sunday.

I have a 21 ft sea hunt cc. no name as of now. do you fish out of the merrimack?
ya i leave out of the merrimack. All we saw for life was a ton of porpi's . no sharks no whales. do you mind if i ask where you got into the mako's?? thats way high on my priority list? i Have not attempted any sharking this year and am planning on it this weekend. Pm if you want.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Sad to say, but I have to repeat my post from last month as I still haven't had a chance to go out and go fishing.

So, how's the action these days?