advice needed - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Official Member

Default advice needed

hi, I'm new here and i haven't been striper fishing for several years. I'm recently getting back into it. I have a Shimano Slade 6000F. I currently have it spooled with 20lb test mono. My question is should I be ok with the 20lb, or should I switch and put braid on it. 20lb is the highest mono that the reel can handle. I am primarily gonna be surf and pier fishing in brooklyn, jamaica bay and occasionally long island. any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: advice needed

I'd drop back to about 15lb test mono on that reel, for a couple reasons. First of all, you don't have enough line capacity with it spooled with 20lb test. Secondly, you'd get more line on it if you went with braid, but you'd lose any advantage because the drag & gears in that reel can't handle a higher test line, especially one with no stretch or forgiveness. It is after all only a $30.00-$40.00 reel,,, to push it beyond it's limits is asking for trouble.

With 15lb test mono, you'll have a bit more line on the reel, and the forgiving stretch of mono to ease the stress on the gears. Just make sure if you're fishing from a pier that you have a net long enough to reach the water.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Official Member

thanks for the advice. I got the reel on ebay for $10. I'm looking at getting a reel and rod more suited for stripers. what do you suggest for under $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Pro Staff

Check out the Penn Battle. It's a pretty good reel right at the $100.00 mark. Tough to find anything very decent for less than that. The Diawa Emcast has some OK reviews as well, and costs a little less.

One thing that you'll find out soon enough is that if you buy cheap gear you will end up spending more in the long run. I feel it's better to spend a little more at the outset on decent gear that will last and do what I need it to do without flinching.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Official Member

thanks for the advice.