Adding a drag gasket? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Exclamation Adding a drag gasket?

This may be a dumb question ….. but that’s why its in the beginner forum.

Can I cut and fit some sort of foam or rubber gasket to the top of the Drag housing on a reel that does not have a sealed drag or will that just stress the threads on the drag knob and cause damage? I know it will not be bullet proof but I figure it could be better than nothing. It is a spinning reel ( not sure of the model off hand / I’m at work). It does not get a lot of water in it and I rinse it religiously after every outing. I also oil and grease it often because it is not the greatest reel but I need it to last. The drag washers are a stack of, I think, 4 Steel and 3 felt washers. The last time I took the stack apart to wipe them and oil the felt there was defiantly corrosion on the metal washers. I don’t dunk the reel but it does get wet form normal use. Is there any thing that I can do to keep the salt better? I am trying my damnedest to maintain this thing until I can up grade. Any help is greatly appreciated.

peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Adding a drag gasket?

To anyone that read this and wondered, the short answer is no. I tried last night and the ďgasketĒ acts as a friction point between the line spool and the drag tension knob. When line gets pullet out it turns the knob also and tightens down on your drag until it stops spinning. (not a good thing )
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Jim I would forgetaboutit.
I use silicone on my drag washers and have had no problem at all.
I just make sure to coat each felt and steel washer and then put them back in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim202000 View Post
This may be a dumb question Ö.. but thatís why its in the beginner forum.

Can I cut and fit some sort of foam or rubber gasket to the top of the Drag housing on a reel that does not have a sealed drag or will that just stress the threads on the drag knob and cause damage? I know it will not be bullet proof but I figure it could be better than nothing. It is a spinning reel ( not sure of the model off hand / Iím at work). It does not get a lot of water in it and I rinse it religiously after every outing. I also oil and grease it often because it is not the greatest reel but I need it to last. The drag washers are a stack of, I think, 4 Steel and 3 felt washers. The last time I took the stack apart to wipe them and oil the felt there was defiantly corrosion on the metal washers. I donít dunk the reel but it does get wet form normal use. Is there any thing that I can do to keep the salt better? I am trying my damnedest to maintain this thing until I can up grade. Any help is greatly appreciated.

peace
jim look up smooth drags, thay may have them for your reel, thay are top grade, ----------billy