Best time to fish for Striper? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 01-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Best time to fish for Striper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrbyrd87 View Post
Yep, that's already happened. So bunker for bait. Any ideas on where to purchase some of these critters, most of the bait shops i've googled don't really seem to hold weekday hours before memorial day. Also what should i expect to pay for them and should they be cut(and in which way) or whole. I really have no idea what i'm doing and don't want to be flying completely blind here.
you could use this diagram as a tool but i never cut anything away from the head. i saw a gentleman do this to a head one night and it didn't work for him. sure it works sometimes but anyway, when your vacation is about to start there will be many shops with fresh bunker available from 1.50 to 2.00 a piece. you'll best be served to buy what is called a bunker snagger (which is a weighted trebble hook) and snag your own as they readily come close to the shoreline throughout the tides.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Great diagram, I had no idea these things were that big, i'm used to 4-5" shiners. So basically cut off the head, tail and belly, then cut the body into steaks and run the hook through on the outside of the spine. I read elsewhere in here that bait should be changed about every 20 minutes or so.I can see where snagging my own would be wise, at $2 a piece it wouldn't take long to sink a lot of money into bait. So tide wise, coming or going, or would it pay for me to sit all day and see what happens? I'll most likely have my 7 year old with me so while i'd like to show him a good time i know it's called fishing and not catching for a reason. Minus a lot of variables should i really expect to get anything my first time out or should i expect to see everyone else catching? Thanks again for all the help, i'm really getting my eyes opened up here.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 AM
Striper Hunter

I know i'm beating a dead horse here but this the only post I can get any info on. I'm planning on a st. croix (mss100mmfs) for a rod and a shimano baitrunner (btr6000d) for a reel. Basis is on my fresh water experience, i have 7 shimano reels and about 8 st croix rods, they do work. My question is on the capacity of the reel, i'll be baiting, and the action of the rod for the same. As far as pluging I don't see how my musky set-up wouldn't work. On another note I just realized that it would be benificial for me to snag my own bunker for bait. I'm assuming that i could just use my trout rod(5.5" light action) for the job. Thanks for all your help, my trip is coming real soon.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Official Member

Quote:
This is my first post and may not be in the right section but the topic fits. Does anyone feel the memorial day weekend(end of may) is too early for stripers off of LBI New Jersey? I'll be vacationing there over the week and was wondering if i should bother to bring my stuff along. Also what would they be hitting, i'm completely new to this sort of fishing. Thanks for any help.
If you want to pay attention to what hapened the last few years, you should bring a few different size sticks, some big pencil poppers 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 oz, a bait stick that can handle a live bunker, some weighted trebles, and enough food so you can stay at the beach from 5am -6pm every day.

Bring a camera in case you catch your fish of a lifetime. If there's a chance you might release your fish, try to get it back in the water quick unless it's dinner. Should you happen to see large bunker schools, you'll be in for an experience. If you're serious about getting one, don't leave the beach for anything other than to hit the can for a quick 5 mins. You'll gettum, good luck.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 AM

Dont use a good stick for snaggin bunker. They can come in like a plastic bag full of water.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

like i did when i field tested tommy's afaw at the mouth of the harbor that nite lmfao......
i took the 704 off the lami and put it back on the star 10'. i think i need something else for that rod like a van staal. the stiffer star is what i use in the spring anyway as it throws huge roc plugs really well. jersey shore surfcasters is having it's SURF DAY on the 20th. ya wanna do a road trip? last year i heard they had some cool plugmakers there. i did all the fly and flytying shows already. maybe we can all get together down there. i'll pm sudsy on it.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Yes im in - I'd like to go on the 20th. I may buy myself a belated Christmas present too.

sorry for the off topic digression.
Quote:
Best time to fish for Striper?
Really any time you can get out and fish. Hopefully its somewhat comfortable and the fish are biting.
I like the night time.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yea, i appologize as well. just figured jim would read it as he doesn't get to see him pm's as often.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Official Member

How about the best springtime fishing off Block Island? I'm hoping to catch some before Memorial say, am I dreaming?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Official Member

does this apply for spring migration in rivers too?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefisherman View Post
does this apply for spring migration in rivers too?
don`t get married and buy a boat and fish every day!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjack12 View Post
don`t get married TO THE WRONG WOMAN and buy a boat and fish every day!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I know i'm beating a dead horse here but this the only post I can get any info on. I'm planning on a st. croix (mss100mmfs) for a rod and a shimano baitrunner (btr6000d) for a reel. Basis is on my fresh water experience, i have 7 shimano reels and about 8 st croix rods, they do work. My question is on the capacity of the reel, i'll be baiting, and the action of the rod for the same. As far as pluging I don't see how my musky set-up wouldn't work. On another note I just realized that it would be benificial for me to snag my own bunker for bait. I'm assuming that i could just use my trout rod(5.5" light action) for the job. Thanks for all your help, my trip is coming real soon.
Good choice for a rod, Well as long as that is the Mojo. If not then look at that. That is my next rod along with a Star. I like Zim really like the Star as I think it is the best $100 rod out there and as good as many $200 rods. I just picked up a Lami 101MS this weekend but maybe should have got the Mojo. If the St. Croix guy would have even given me the time of day I may have bought 2 of them. I myself w/ be using a Shimano Twinpower 6000 on the Lami and or Mojo. My self for the surf, I like to have atleast 300 yds or around 20 to 40 lb(usually braid or fused). I may also pick up a Sustain or Stradic for 2nd rod.

For snagging bunker I would not use that trout rod. Use something heavy. WHen there are bunker there may be bass. What are you going to do with that twig if a cow grabs the hooked bunker
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

The St Croix guy prolly was scared shartless and was hoping you'd just go away.... lmfao